The $4.3 million, state-of-the-art Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center on the northwest side of campus includes 6,700 square feet of new floor space as well as a renovation of the existing Alex G. Spanos Training Facility, combining for 12,000 square feet.
The center features zones for strength and conditioning and athletic training/rehabilitation, as well as an outdoor conditioning plaza, offices and a conference room.
Specific amenities include 15 Hammer Strength Power Racks, Keiser Functional Trainers, Tendo units, Wattbikes, a 12-person hydro tub and an AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill.
Named in honor of the Spanos family patriarch, the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center was made possible by a lead gift of $500,000 from Dean Spanos, chairman of the board of the San Diego Chargers, and his family.
Ground was broken in June of 2015 and the facility celebrated its official opening in October of the same year.
In November of 2016, the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center won an Orchid Award from the San Diego Architectural Foundation.
Click here to see additional photos of the facility
Click here to watch video of the opening ceremony
In Google Maps, enter this address for nearest lot to the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center:
9730 Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
Directions to the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center
- From Interstate 5, exit Genesee Avenue
- Head west on Genesee
- Turn left on North Torrey Pines Road
- Turn left on UCSD Northpoint Driveway
- Continue through two stop signs. As the road curves to the right (with Triton Track & Field Stadium to your immediate left), it becomes Hopkins Drive.
- Pass fields and RIMAC Arena and park in Hopkins Parking Structure on your right
- Parking permits are required Monday through Friday (free on weekends), and can be obtained from the Northpoint information booth (right side of street at second stop sign on Northpoint Driveway), or at machines in parking structures and lots.