LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 14 UC San Diego men's tennis team held its own against No. 12 Azusa Pacific but lost by a tight 5-4 count Saturday at Northview Tennis Courts.
Ganesh Alagappan started singles out with a win against Pascal Engel, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5. The Cougars then went on a run with three straight singles victories at No. 1, No. 2 and No . 4, clinching the victory.
Herekar, a two-time winner for the day, defeated Leahy at No. 3 singles. Meyer lost the first set of his No. 6 singles match-up against Thomas Aranguiz and then fought hard to win the second and third set with scores of 6-4 and 10-8 to earn the win.
The Tritons, who drop to 1-3 overall for the season, will travel across town to Point Loma (0-4) on Tuesday, Feb. 11, at 2:30 p.m.
#12 Azusa Pacific 5, #14 UC San Diego 4
Feb 08, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Jan Meyer (APU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
2. Frederik Wilkens (APU) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Alan Leahy (APU) 7-6, 6-4
4. Gary Yam (APU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Pascal Engel (APU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Tomas Aranguiz (APU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
1. Pascal Engel/Jan Meyer (APU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-4
2. Tomas Aranguiz/Frederik Wilkens (APU) def. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-6
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Alan Leahy/Gary Yam (APU) 8-5
Azusa Pacific 3-0; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #2
UC San Deigo 1-3; National ranking # 14; Regional ranking # 4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,1,4,3,6)