LA JOLLA, Calif. - Strong singles play led the No. 17 UC San Diego women's tennis team to a 6-3 victory against Point Loma Tuesday afternoon at Northview Courts.
Down 2-1 after the doubles portion of the match, UCSD won five of six singles contests to secure the win over the Sea Lions.
UCSD won the No. 1, No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 singles match-ups in straight sets. Scott defeated Maika Adair in the first spot (6-2, 6-1), Chou downed von Koch at No. 2 (6-2, 6-0), Tara Vanooteghem took the win at No. 4 against Sharon Reibstein (7-5, 6-2) and Kellie Taylor won her No. 6 contest against Kristy Mountain (6-1, 6-3).
Freshman Nava Nowamooz battled for a victory at No. 3 against Penner with scores of 7-6, 2-6, 10-5.
The Sea Lions' lone singles victory came at No. 5.
UC San Diego improved to 2-2 on the season while Point Loma fell to 0-4.
UCSD travels to Hawaii this week for three days, taking on Hawaii Hilo Friday, BYU-Hawaii Saturday and Hawaii Pacific Sunday.
#17 UC San Diego 6, #36 Point Loma 3
Feb 11, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Maika Adair (PLNU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Regina von Koch (PLNU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) def. Hope Penner (PLNU) 7-6, 2-6, 10-5
4. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Sharon Reibstein (PLNU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
6. Kellie Taylor (UCSD) def. Kirsty Mountain (PLNU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Hope Penner/Regina von Koch (PLNU) 8-1
2. Maika Adair/Hillary Ramage (PLNU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-6
3. Sharon Reibstein/Preethika Venugopal (PLNU) def. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) 8-6
Point Loma 0-4: National ranking #36, Regional ranking #9
UC San Diego 2-2; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,1); Singles (1,2,5,4,6,3)