Each of the 12 CCAA institutions' SAAC will be holding the canned food drive to support a food bank in its campus city. The SAAC is encouraging members of each college community to bring canned goods to designated drop-off points on campus.
UCSD's canned food drive will support the San Diego Food Bank, the largest hunger relief organization in San Diego County.
Collection bins will be located in the lobby of the Athletics Department at RIMAC Arena through Monday, Feb. 24. Bins will also be present at the following home athletic events:
• Friday, Feb. 14 - men's volleyball vs. USC
• Friday, Feb. 21 - women's/men's basketball vs. San Francisco State
• Saturday, Feb. 22 - baseball vs. Cal Poly Pomona
• Saturday, Feb. 22 - softball vs. Cal State East Bay
• Saturday, Feb. 22 - women's/men's basketball vs. Sonoma State
In addition to the annual canned food event, each campus' SAAC works to support community and campus programs/projects. Adopt-A-Soldier, Read Across America, campus blood drives, breast cancer awareness events and assisting at local food banks are just some of the activities that the CCAA student-athletes participate in.
The Make-A-Wish Foundation, American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen Foundation are among the national charitable organizations SAAC has partnered with.