LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 17 UC San Diego women's tennis team came up short in its final match of six straight at home against Hawaii Pacific on Saturday, falling by a score of 7-2 at Northview Courts.
HPU won five of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests. The Tritons dropped to 7-10 with the loss, while the Sea Warriors moved to 10-1 overall.
In addition, Chou was a winner at No. 2 singles, defeating 34th-ranked Celina Goetti, 6-4 and 6-2.
In the No. 1 singles match, Scott, ranked 32nd in the country, was defeated by Karen Ramirez, 7-5 and 6-1.
UC San Diego and Hawaii Pacific met on Feb. 16 in Hawaii with the Sea Warriors winning by the same score. The Tritons' two points came in singles as Scott defeated Goetti at No. 1 and Lisa Asai beat Lea Kruse-Utermann in the sixth spot.
The Tritons head to Sonoma State on Friday, March 28, for their first road competition since late February. The contest is set to start at 11 a.m. in Rohnert Park. It is the first of six consecutive matches away from La Jolla.
#4 Hawaii Pacific 7, #17 UC San Diego 2
March 15, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Karen Ramirez (HPU) def. #32 Kyra Scott (UCSD) 7-5, 6-1
2. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. #34 Celina Goetti (HPU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Magdalena Smejova (HPU) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Lorena Gheorghe (HPU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Vivian Hansen (HPU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lea Kruse-Utermann (HPU) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
1. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Lorena Gheorghe/Magdalena Smejova (HPU) 8-3
2. Celina Goetti/Karen Ramirez (HPU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-1
3. Vivian Hansen/Lea Kruse-Utermann (HPU) def. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) 8-4
Hawaii Pacific 10-1; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #2
UC San Diego 7-10; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,3,6,4,1,2)