FRESNO, Calif. - For the second time this season, the 11th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team edged No. 9 Fresno Pacific by a 5-4 score, this time on the road at the Haak Tennis Complex.
UCSD won two of three doubles matches and three of six singles contests to earn the upset victory and improve to 14-6 on the year. FPU, which had its seven-match win streak snapped, fell to 17-6 overall.
The Tritons led 2-1 following doubles play. Max Jiganti and Kona Luu, ranked 22nd nationally, cruised to an 8-1 win over Thomas Gely and Kyle Rowe in the top spot. Alexandre Miaule and Horea Porutiu were also winners, downing Brendan Aguilar and Leonardo Urquidi, 8-5, at No. 2.
The Sunbirds won the first two singles matches that finished, giving them a 3-2 advantage. However, the Tritons won the next three to solidify the win.
At No. 2, Rajeev Herekar dispatched Gely 7-6 and 6-2 to tie the match up at 3-3. Next off was the No. 6 singles tilt, in which Andrew Malozsak defeated Stefan Loop, 6-2, 7-6, putting UCSD up 4-3. The clincher came at the top slot with Jiganti battling for a 7-6, 6-2 victory against Michael Tymkiw.
Fresno Pacific holds a No. 2 regional ranking while UC San Diego is fourth.
The Tritons remain in Fresno to take on Sonoma State on Sunday, April 6, at 10 a.m. UCSD dominated the Seawolves recently, cruising to a 9-0 victory in La Jolla on March 16.
#11 UC San Diego 5, #9 Fresno Pacific 4
April 05, 2014 at Fresno, CA (Haak Tennis Complex)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Michael Tymkiw (FPU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
2. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Thomas Gely (FPU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
3. Kyle Rowe (FPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Brendan Aguilar (FPU) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-0, 6-3
5. Leonardo Urquidi (FPU) def. Mark Meyer (UCSD) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Andrew Malozsak (UCSD) def. Stefan Loop (FPU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
1. #22 Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Thomas Gely/Kyle Rowe (FPU) 8-1
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Brendan Aguilar/Leonardo Urquidi (FPU) 8-5
3. Stefan Loop/Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 14-6; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #4
Fresno Pacific 17-6; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,2,6,1,5)