KONA, HAWAII - The No. 13 University of California San Diego men's tennis team captured a 6-3 win over No. 26 BYU-Hawaii Friday in Hawaii Invitational play at Moana Loa Village.
UC San Diego improved to 2-3 overall and BYU-Hawaii suffered its first loss, dropping to 2-1. The Tritons are currently ranked third in the NCAA West Region and BYUH sits at fifth.
UCSD's Eric Tseng, ranked 36th nationally, took a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No.1 slot over Sterling Galli.
Sreeganesh Manoharan played at No. 6 and clinched the match for the Tritons, winning over Tsu-Ping Kuang 7-6 (7-0), 6-1.
The Tritons took the first and third match-ups in the doubles competition. At No. 1, the duo of Isaia and Miaule defeated Chia-Hua Lu and Sterling Galli, 9-8. At No. 3, Tseng and Zhang took care of Galli and Karmadzha, 8-3.
"We had a big comeback," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "BYU competed hard and made it very close to the end."
UC San Diego continues its trip by facing the top team in the nation, No. 1 Hawaii Pacific, Saturday. A start time is yet to be determined.
#13 UC San Diego 6, #26 BYU-Hawaii 3
Feb 17, 2017 at Kona, HI (Mauna Loa Village)
1. #36 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Sterling Galli (BYUH) 6-3, 6-1
2. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Guillermo Ucelay Pueyo (BYUH) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
3. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Ibrahim Karmadzha (BYUH) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Chia-Hua Lu (BYUH) def. Marc Isaia (UCSD) 4-6, 6-3, 13-11
5. Simon Guillin (BYUH) def. Marius Ruh (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
6. Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Tsu-Ping Kuang (BYUH) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
1. Marc Isaia/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Chia-Hua Lu/Sterling Galli (BYUH) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Simon Guillin/Guillermo Ucelay Pueyo (BYUH) def. Edvin Larsson/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) 8-3
3. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Ian Galli/Ibrahim Karmadzha (BYUH) 8-3
UC San Diego 2-3; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #3
BYU-Hawaii 2-1; National ranking #26; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,2,6,4,3)