KONA, Hawaii - Strong singles play propelled the 13th-ranked University of California San Diego men's tennis team to a narrow, 5-4 win against Hawaii Pacific, the nation's No. 1-ranked squad, Saturday in Hawaii Invitational action.
Tied 4-4, it came down to the final match of the day. Freshman Marius Ruh clinched the big victory for UCSD with a win in the No. 6 singles spot. It went three sets between Ruh and Juan Erro with the Triton taking it by scores of 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
UC San Diego found itself down, 2-1, after doubles play, but the Tritons rallied to win four of the six singles contests. Alongside Ruh, Alexandre Miaule at No. 2, Justin Zhang at No. 3 and Marc Isaia at No. 4 were also winners. Isaia and Zhang won their matches in straight sets.
The Tritons evened their season record at 3-3 with the win.
UC San Diego concludes play on the islands Sunday as it goes up against Hawaii Hilo.
#13 UC San Diego 5, #1 Hawaii Pacific 4
Feb. 18, 2017 at Kona, HI (Mauna Loa Village)
1. #13 Filip Dolezel (HPU) def. #36 Eric Tseng (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. #34 Torben Otto (HPU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Jakub Hadrava (HPU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Filip Soban (HPU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Jack Lyttle (HPU) def. Edvin Larsson (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Marius Ruh (UCSD) def. Juan Erro (HPU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. Filip Dolezel/Jakub Hadrava (HPU) def. Marc Isaia/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 8-3
2. Edvin Larsson/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Jack Lyttle/Torben Otto (HPU) 8-5
3. Juan Erro/Filip Soban (HPU) def. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) 8-3
UC San Diego 3-3; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #3
Hawaii Pacific 0-1; National ranking #1; Regional ranking #1
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,3,2,4,6)