LA JOLLA, Calif - The 14th-ranked University of California San Diego men's tennis team beat No. 30 Holy Names 7-2 Friday at Northview Courts to win its fourth consecutive match.
UC San Diego saw victories in five of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests.
Four of the Tritons' singles wins came in straight sets.
Marius Ruh, Edvin Larsson and Rodrigo Amaral all won at the No. 4, 5 and 6 slots, respectively. Ruh downed Javier Luque in three, 6-2, 2-6, 12-10. Larsson took down Ivan Parra, 6-1, 6-4 and Amaral earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jonah Tahilan.
At No. 1, 36th-ranked Eric Tseng was defeated by No. 23 Matthew Halligan in a close duel, 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-7.
In doubles, Tseng and Zhang beat Colpart and Parra, 8-2, at No. 2. One spot down, Amaral and Larsson took care of Taylor Bryant and Tahilan, winning 8-6.
Marc Isaia and Miaule were defeated by the pair of Halligan and Moraes, 8-3, in the top doubles position.
UC San Diego will look to capture its fifth consecutive win when the Tritons host Sonoma State on Sunday, Feb. 26. The match is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m.
#14 UC San Diego 7, #30 Holy Names 2
Feb. 24, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #23 Matthew Halligan (HNU) def. #36 Eric Tseng (UCSD) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-7
2. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Bernardo Moraes (HNU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Hugo Colpart (HNU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Marius Ruh (UCSD) def. Javier Luque (HNU) 6-2, 2-6, 12-10
5. Edvin Larsson (UCSD) def. Ivan Parra (HNU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Rodrigo Amaral (UCSD) def. Jonah Tahilan (HNU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Matthew Halligan/Bernardo Moraes (HNU) def. Marc Isaia/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 8-3
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Hugo Colpart/Ivan Parra (HNU) 8-2
3. Rodrigo Amaral/Edvin Larsson (UCSD) def. Taylor Bryant/Jonah Tahilan (HNU) 8-6
Holy Names 2-1; National ranking #30; Regional ranking #6
UC San Diego 5-3; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,6,3,5,4,1)