LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 9 University of California San Diego women's tennis team earned a 6-3 West Region victory over No. 23 Cal State LA Saturday in its final regular season match at Northview Courts in La Jolla.
The Tritons improve to 16-5 overall while the Golden Eagles fall to 12-6.
UC San Diego won five of six singles matches and one of three doubles contests.
Slots No. 1, 2 and 3 in singles were all UC San Diego wins, with 28th-ranked Britta Mosser leading the way with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Nozomi Matsuoka at No. 1.
At the No. 4 spot, Jasmine Hosseini won over Iris Raileanu 2-6, 7-5, 6-4. At No. 5, Alexandra Weil fell to Luciana Di Laura 6-2, 6-4. Valeria Corral was also a winner for the Tritons, defeating Isabella Lopez 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6.
In doubles play, Chao and Chou took the No. 2 match, 8-3 against Lopez and Raileanu.
The 14th-ranked duo of Hall and Matsuoka beat Mosser and Shannon Theisen 8-5 at No.1. At No. 2, Di Laura and Sokolova took down Hale and Weil 8-3.
With the regular season concluded, UC San Diego awaits the NCAA postseason selections, which will be announced on April 25 at 5 p.m. at NCAA.com.#9 UC San Diego 6, #23 Cal State LA 3
April 15, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #28 Britta Mosser (UCSD) def. Nozomi Matsuoka (CSULA) 7-5, 6-4
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Kayleigh Hall (CSULA) 7-5, 6-1
3. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Elizaveta Sokolova (CSULA) 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Iris Raileanu (CSULA) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Luciana Di Laura (CSULA) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Isabella Lopez (CSULA) 6-3, 6-3
1. #14 Kayleigh Hall/Nozomi Matsuoka (CSULA) def. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-5
2. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Isabella Lopez/Iris Raileanu (CSULA) 8-3
3. Luciana Di Laura/Elizaveta Sokolova (CSULA) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 8-3
Cal State LA 12-6; National ranking #23; Regional ranking #8
UC San Diego 16-5; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)