UCSD Adds Two Californians to 2017-18 Roster
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The University of California San Diego women's basketball program has added two standout players that will join the team for the 2017-18 season. Head coach Heidi VanDerveer made the announcement. Both are California natives.
"We are very excited to add both Kayla and Emily to our team," said VanDerveer.
Guard • 5'9"
Agoura Hills • Agoura High School
- Four-year starter for Agoura HS
- Two-year varsity team captain
- Marmonte League MVP as a senior
- Agoura school record-holder in rebounds (1,019) and double-doubles (64)
- All-CIF First Team as a junior
- Helped Agoura win the Marmonte League championship in 2016-17 and reach the CIF finals in 2015-16
VANDERVEER ON CANGELOSI
"Emily is a versatile perimeter player with good skills and instincts. She is an extremely hard worker who competes on every possession."
Guard • 5'8"
Torrance • Westmont College/West Torrance High School
- Played in 67 games with 47 starts in two years at Westmont College
- Led Westmont with 81 steals in 2016-17, averaging 12.5 points and 6.4 rebounds
- Two-year varsity team captain at West Torrance HS
- Helped West Torrance win three Bay League championships
- Bay League MVP in 2012-13
- CIF Division 2A Player of the Year in 2014
VANDERVEER ON SATO
"Kayla is a seasoned guard who will contribute in a variety of ways. She is a proven scorer, can create for other people, and is an excellent perimeter rebounder. She has a passion for playing and provides a tremendous positive energy."
UC San Diego finished the 2016-17 season at 23-7 overall, with a 17-3 mark in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). UCSD won its second straight CCAA regular-season title, and finished as runner-up in the CCAA Tournament. The Tritons earned a spot in the NCAA West Regional, where they fell to Simon Fraser in the quarterfinal by a score of 69-65. UCSD will return 12 players in 2017-18.