SAN DIEGO - Continuing its partnership with Susan G. Komen San Diego, the University of California San Diego men's and women's rowing programs hosted the 17th Annual San Diego Row for the Cure on Saturday on Mission Bay.
Along with UC San Diego, the field included San Diego State and the University of San Diego, along with the local San Diego Rowing Club and ZLAC Rowing Club.
UC San Diego had three boats in the Men's Open 8, with the "A" crew finishing second with a time of 11-minutes, 46-seconds. The Tritons "B" crew was third (12:04) and the "C" crew was fourth (12:16).
In the Women's Open 8, the UC San Diego "B" crew finished sixth at 13:48, followed by the "A" crew in seventh (13:51) and the "C" crew in ninth (15:01).
In the Men's Open 4+, UC San Diego took second (12:54) behind San Diego Rowing Club "A" (12:46). In the Women's Open 4+, the UC San Diego "A" crew finished fifth (15:03), while the Tritons "B" crew was seventh (15:26) and "C" crew was ninth (16:36).
The regatta served as the unofficial season opener for the Tritons, but was open to any and all human-powered watercraft. It included rowers, kayakers, stand-up and sit-down paddlers, first-time rowers in the barge and outriggers.
The San Diego Row for the Cure event, established in 2002, raises funds via entry fees, donations and raffle tickets. All proceeds go directly to Komen for the Cure and the fight against breast cancer.
Of the funds raised, 75 percent is allocated toward the San Diego community to provide support for uninsured and underinsured patients' treatment and services, while the remaining 25 percent goes directly toward financing national breast cancer research.
In 2016, event set a new record by raising over $26,000.
"The Row for the Cure is always a really great event and a perfect way to kick off our Fall season," said UC San Diego women's rowing head coach Colin Truex. "Not only do the athletes get the opportunity to race against quality local competition, they get to participate in an event that raises awareness for breast cancer and the mission of the San Diego Susan G. Komen Foundation.
"It is a spirited, fun and meaningful way to start the season."