Tritons Fall in Exhibition Match at Cal State Fullerton
FULLERTON, Calif. - The University of California San Diego women's tennis team unofficially opened its spring season Thursday with a 7-0 exhibition loss against NCAA Division I opponent Cal State Fullerton at Titan Tennis Courts.
Junior Ashley Chao represented UC San Diego at the top singles spot and fell in straight sets to Genevieve Zeidan, 6-0 and 6-3.
Jasmine Hosseini was the lone Triton to win a set for the Tritons. At No. 3, the senior went up against Karla Portalatin and was defeated by scores of 6-2, 3-6, and 10-1.
At No. 1 doubles, Chao and sophomore Becky Chou lost to Portalatin and Sarah Nuno, 6-2.
It was the first match of the season for the Titans as well.
UCSD, which finished its 2017 campaign with a 16-5 record, is ranked ninth nationally in Division II. The Tritons are No. 3 in the West Region.
UC San Diego is off until Jan. 27 when it plays another exhibition match at crosstown rival San Diego State (12 p.m.).
Cal State Fullerton 7, #9 UC San Diego 0 (exhibition)
Jan. 18, 2018 at Irvine, CA (Titan Tennis Courts)
1. Genevieve Zeidan (CSUF) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-0, 6-3
2. Sarah Nuno (CSUF) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 7-5, 6-2
3. Karla Portalatin (CSUF) def. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 6-2, 3-6, 10-1
4. Luxizi Meng (CSUF) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
5. Caisey Lee Emery (CSUF) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jadie Acidera (CSUF) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
1. Sarah Nuno/Karla Portalatin (CSUF) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2
2. Jadie Acidera/Genevieve Zeidan (CSUF) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3
3. Caisey Lee Emery/Luxizi Meng (CSUF) def. Valeria Corral/Shuchen Lin (UCSD) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,4,6,3,2)