Tritons Head Back on Road to Face No. 5 Humboldt State
ABOUT UC SAN DIEGO
Roster | Schedule | Statistics
• Overall: 7-2
• CCAA: 2-2
• Home: 2-2
• Away: 0-0
• Neutral: 5-0
• Highest National Ranking (NFCA): NR
• Against Nationally-Ranked Teams: 0-0
• NFCA Top 25 Preseason Coaches Poll: NR
• CCAA Standings: 3rd
TRITON SOFTBALL ON UCSDTRITONS.TV
UC San Diego Athletics and local technology giant ViaSat once again in 2018 bring you Triton Softball on UCSDtritons.tv, an online streaming platform. All broadcasts are in high definition, and can be viewed from smartphones and tablets. Viewing is subscription-based, though it is free from UCSD campus IP addresses. The single-day fee is $5.99, meaning doubleheaders are two-for-one. Events are archived. Local media personality Miles Himmel (@mileshimmel) is back this season as the primary play-by-play voice.
Live stats are available for all Triton softball games. Follow the play-by-play action by clicking here.
HOME SWEET HOME
UC San Diego has 22 scheduled home games for the 2018 season, including a 10-game homestand beginning on March 9 with a doubleheader against Cal State East Bay and finishing with a doubleheader against Concordia Irvine on March 27. The Tritons begin their home schedule with a doubleheader against Sonoma State on Feb. 9, and conclude their home slate with a doubleheader against Stanislaus State on April 14. Check out UC San Diego’s complete 2018 schedule here. Admission is once again free for all in 2018. Parking is free only on weekends.
BIG (WEST) NEWS FOR UC SAN DIEGO ATHLETICS
On Nov. 27, UC San Diego was officially invited to become a member of the NCAA Division I Big West Conference. The Tritons will begin a four-year reclassification period starting in the fall of 2020. They will play a full Big West schedule that season and will be eligible for NCAA Championships in men's volleyball, men's and women's water polo, and fencing. For the 2024-25 academic year, all sports will be eligible to compete in Big West and NCAA Division I championships. Read the full press release here.
UC San Diego is coming off a 30-22 overall mark in 2017 and sixth-place finish in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) standings with a 21-19 record. The Tritons concluded conference play winning seven of their last eight games. UC San Diego welcomes back two all-conference selections in seniors Kelsi Maday and Kendall Baker.
Maday was a first-team All-CCAA honoree for the second-consecutive season, while also garnering All-West Region honors from the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) as well as the Conference Commissioners Association (CCA). The senior started all 52 games in the outfield in 2017, finishing the season batting .395 with 13 doubles and 42 stolen bases. In addition, Maday led the Tritons with 44 runs scored, 37 RBI and a .468 on-base percentage. The Napa native has already set UC San Diego’s single-season record for stolen bases in a season (42) and for a career (94).
Baker was named to the All-CCAA second team in 2017 for the second-straight season, as she led UC San Diego with 66 hits and three triples. A native of Berthoud, Colo., Baker finished second on the team behind Maday with 36 stolen bases, which ranks second all-time for the program in a single season. In addition, the second baseman/outfielder led the Tritons with 43 runs scored, putting her fifth all-time for a single season. Baker was also an Academic All-District 8 selection by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) for her combined performance on the field and in the classroom.
ABOUT HUMBOLDT STATE
Roster | Schedule | Statistics
• Overall: 4-5
• CCAA: 2-2
• Home: 0-0
• Away: 2-2
• Neutral: 2-3
• Highest National Ranking: 5th
• CCAA Standing: 8th
• NOTES — Humboldt State will host a home game in February for the first time since 2013 ... The Lumberjacks were predicted to finish third with two first-place votes in the CCAA Preseason Poll ... HSU split its four-game series at Cal State Dominguez Hills last weekend, sweeping the final two games on Saturday ... Senior outfielder Winona Vigil leads Humboldt State with a .500 batting average, as well as three home runs and 10 RBI ... Freshman Lexee Sheiring has pitched a team-high 25.1 innings this season, allowing 17 earned runs on 39 hits with 12 strikeouts.
UC SAN DIEGO ALL-TIME AGAINST THE LUMBERJACKS
• All-Time Record: 20-40 (.333)
• Last Meeting: UC San Diego won 3-2, splitting a four-game series (4/8/17)
- The Tritons have begun the 2018 season 7-2 overall with a 2-2 mark in CCAA play.
- UC San Diego split four games with Sonoma State last weekend in its home opener.
- The Tritons have won their last nine games away from Triton Softball Field dating back to 2017.
- Junior transfer Sharona Mataele hit two home runs and a double, finishing with five RBI and two runs scored in her first start in a Triton uniform on Feb. 10.
- Freshman pitcher Robyn Wampler improved to 6-1 on the season after earning two victories in the four-game set against Sonoma State. Wampler led the Tritons to a 9-1 victory to begin the weekend, allowing one unearned run on six hits with four strikeouts in five innings pitched. The Berkeley native threw a total of 15 innings, allowing just five earned runs on 16 hits with eight strikeouts in the weekend series. Wampler leads the CCAA in strikeouts this season (26).
- Senior Kelsi Maday is tied for first in the CCAA in stolen bases (8) and is third in runs scored (11). The senior outfielder went a combined 4-for-12 with five runs scored in the four-game set against Sonoma State. The Napa native has a team-high 11 runs scored this season.
- Freshman Sherriah Harrington leads UC San Diego with 10 RBI, three doubles and is tied for the team lead with two home runs. The Chula Vista native leads the CCAA in batting average (.556), is third in slugging percentage (1.056) and is third in RBI.
- Senior Kendall Baker went a combined 6-for-13 with four runs scored and three RBI in the four-game set against Sonoma State. Baker leads the Tritons this season in total hits (11).
- Freshman Michele Ota finished 5-for-11 with two runs scored and three RBI in four games against Sonoma State.
- UC San Diego is 31-of-38 in stolen base attempts, while its opposition is just 12-for-14.
2018 CCAA STANDINGS
1. Chico State, 4-0
2. San Francisco State, 3-1
3. UC San Diego, 2-2
4. Cal State East Bay, 2-2
5. Sonoma State, 2-2
6. Cal State Dominguez Hills, 2-2
7. Cal State Monterey Bay, 2-2
8. Humboldt State, 2-2
9. Cal State San Marcos, 1-3
10. Stanislaus State, 0-0
11. Cal State San Bernardino, 0-4
NFCA TOP 25 PRESEASON COACHES POLL
1. Minnesota State
2. Angelo State
3. West Florida
4. West Virginia Wesleyan
5. Humboldt State
6. Southern Indiana
7. North Georgia
8. Colorado Mesa
9. Dixie State
10. Southern Arkansas
13. West Texas A&M
15. Cal State Monterey Bay
16. West Chester
18. Valdosta State
19. Wayne State (Mich.)
21. Chico State
22. St. Mary’s
23. Saint Leo
24. Winona State
2018 CCAA PRESEASON POLL
The Tritons were picked to finish sixth in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) based on a preseason poll of the league’s coaches. UC San Diego earned 54 points in the poll to finish ahead of Cal State East Bay (53 points) and behind Sonoma State (69). The Tritons finished sixth in last season’s final CCAA standings with a 30-22 overall record and 21-19 mark in conference play.
1. Cal State Monterey Bay, 96 points (6 first-place votes)
2. Chico State, 88 (3)
3. Humboldt State, 78 (2)
4. Cal State San Bernardino, 72
5. Sonoma State, 69
6. UC San Diego, 54
7. Cal State East Bay, 53
8. Stanislaus State, 35
9. San Francisco State, 27
10. Cal State San Marcos, 22
11. Cal State Dominguez Hills, 13
HEAD COACH PATTI GERCKENS
Patti Gerckens is currently in her 26th season at the helm of the UC San Diego softball program in 2018. Gerckens has amassed an overall record of 685-567 (.574) over her 25-year career, with 10 30-win seasons in the last 11 years. The Tritons have gone 541-403 (.573) in 17 years since Gerckens guided the team’s transition from Division III to Division II in 2001, including 328-243 (.574) as a member of the ultra-competitive California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA), widely considered the best Division II conference in the country. The winningest coach in program history, Gerckens led the Tritons to four straight NCAA postseason berths from 2011-14, beginning with back-to-back school-record 45-win seasons and appearances in the Division II championship game, the first of which brought UCSD its first softball title in 2011. The Tritons finished as national runners-up in her milestone 20th campaign in 2012. Gerckens has led UCSD softball to 11 NCAA postseason appearances, with nine at the Division II level. UCSD is 22-18 (.55) in the NCAA Division II Championship. For Gerckens’ complete bio, click here.
For the latest in Triton athletic gear, make sure to visit ucsdtritonsgear.com. Run by UC San Diego Athletics' online partner, Advanced-Online, the site provides an on-demand option for Triton athletic apparel and merchandise. Fans have access to over 600 products that can be processed and shipped within 24 hours.
FOR THE YOUNGER CROWD
Got some young Triton fans in your family? If they are eighth grade or under, check out the Junior Triton Club. Membership includes a free t-shirt, admission to over 100 UC San Diego home athletic events, and much more!
SOCIAL MEDIA- #BigWestBound
UCSD Athletics on Facebook (UCSDtritons)
UCSD Softball on Facebook (/UCSDsoftball)
UCSD Athletics on Instagram (@UCSDtritons)
UCSD Softball on Instagram (@UCSDsoftball)
UCSD Athletics on Twitter (@UCSDtritons)
Coach Gerckens on Twitter (@UCSDCoachG)
UCSD Softball on Twitter (@ucsdsoftball)
UCSD Athletics on YouTube (UCSDAthletics)
Following this weekend’s action, UC San Diego returns home to play host to Cal State San Marcos. The four-game series begins with a doubleheader on Friday, Feb. 23, beginning at 3 p.m.