KONA, Hawai'i - In a match-up of top-10 nationally-ranked squads Sunday, the No. 9 University of California San Diego women's tennis team fell against No. 4 Hawai'i Pacific, 7-0, at the Holua Tennis Center on the Big Island.
UC San Diego, which had its three-match win streak halted, fell to 3-4 on the season. Hawai'i Pacific remained unbeaten at 3-0. The Tritons are the third-ranked team in the West Region, while the Sharks are No. 1.
HPU jumped out to a 3-0 lead by sweeping the doubles matches. At No. 1, the Triton pair of Ashley Chao and Becky Chou were downed by Oceane Adam and Lena Lutzeier, 8-3. Eleventh-ranked Barbora Kijasova and Lara Meccico defeated Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil, 8-5, at No. 2. In the third tilt, UCSD's Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight fell by an 8-5 score to Leticia Gonzalez dos Santos and Heloise Le Normand.
Hawai'i Pacific's top-three singles players are nationally-ranked. The Sharks won at No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No. 6 - all in straight sets.
In the No. 1 match, Chao was topped by Lutzeier, ranked ninth, by scores of 6-3 and 6-0. Chou took on 10th-ranked Meccico at No. 2 and was defeated, 6-1, 6-1. At No. 3, Weil won a total of six games, but ultimately fell to No. 21 Adam, 7-5 and 6-1. Jessica Cramer played in the sixth spot for the Tritons and was dispatched by Debora Echeverria, 6-1, 6-1.
Two singles matches remained unfinished due to rain and lightning in the Kailua-Kona area. At No. 4, Triton Jasmine Hosseini was in the middle of a tiebreaker against Kijasova. Hosseini won the opening set, 6-2, while Kijasova won the second, 6-3. At No. 5, 40th-ranked Valeria Corral won the first set against Le Normand, 6-3. Her HPU foe was ahead, 4-3, in the second frame before the match was called.
UCSD finished its trip to Hawai'i with a 2-1 record, defeating Hawai'i Hilo and Chaminade prior to today's loss.
UC San Diego plays nine of its next 10 matches at home, starting with Cal State LA on Saturday, Feb. 24 (12 p.m.).
#4 Hawai'i Pacific 7, #9 UC San Diego 0
Feb. 18, 2018 at Kona, HI (Holua Tennis Center)
1. #9 Lena Lutzeier (HPU) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-3, 6-0
2. #10 Lara Meccico (HPU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
3. #21 Oceane Adam (HPU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 7-5, 6-1
4. Barbora Kijasova (HPU) vs. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 2-6, 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
5. Heloise Le Normand (HPU) vs. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
6. Debora Echeverria (HPU) def. Jessica Cramer (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
1. Oceane Adam/Lena Lutzeier (HPU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-3
2. #11 Barbora Kijasova/Lara Meccico (HPU) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 8-5
3. Leticia Gonzalez/Heloise Le Normand (HPU) def. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 3-4; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Hawaii Pacific 3-0; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,6,3)