LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 14th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team earned a 7-2 victory against West Region opponent Cal State LA Saturday afternoon at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego swept the doubles matches to jump out to a 3-0 lead and proceeded to take four of the six singles contests to ice the win.
Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou were winners at No. 1 doubles, defeating Amanda Schneider and Elizaveta Sokolova, 8-4. Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight gave the Tritons a 2-0 lead by downing Chelsey Ruiz and Mariko Sagara, 8-5, at No. 3. The closest doubles match came at No. 2, where Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil out-lasted Luciana Di Laura and Isabella Lopez, 8-7 (7-5). That win put UCSD up 3-0 heading into singles action.
All four of the Tritons' singles wins came in straight sets.
At No. 1, Chao cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory against Sokolova. Chou dispatched Schneider at No. 2 by scores of 6-3 and 7-5. At No. 4, Jasmine Hosseini was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over Lopez, moving her to a team-best 6-1 on the season. Valeria Corral, ranked 40th nationally, took on Sagara at No. 5 and won handily, 6-1 and 6-1.
UCSD evened its record at 4-4, while CSULA fell to 2-5.
UC San Diego plays at No. 22 Point Loma on Feb. 27 at 3 p.m.
#14 UC San Diego 7, Cal State LA 2
Feb. 24, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Elizaveta Sokolova (CSULA) 6-1, 6-3
2. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Amanda Schneider (CSULA) 6-3, 7-5
3. Luciana Di Laura (CSULA) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Isabella Lopez (CSULA) 6-1, 6-1
5. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Mariko Sagara (CSULA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Chelsey Ruiz (CSULA) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Amanda Schneider/Elizaveta Sokolova (CSULA) 8-4
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Luciana Di Laura/Isabella Lopez (CSULA) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Chelsey Ruiz/Mariko Sagara (CSULA) 8-5
Cal State LA 2-5
UC San Diego 4-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,5,2,3,6)
Official: David Isaacs