LA JOLLA, Calif. — The No. 18 University of California San Diego men’s tennis team put together one of its best performances of the young season on Monday, defeating cross-town foe Point Loma, 8-1, at Northview Tennis Courts.
The match was initially scheduled for Feb. 14, but was postponed due to rain and darkness after completing doubles play. Monday’s match picked up with the Tritons holding a 2-1 lead heading into singles action.
Senior Eric Tseng, the No. 21-ranked singles player in the nation, got UC San Diego (2-2) off to a good start on Monday, defeating Thomas Dafcik in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, in No. 1 singles play. Fellow senior and No. 39-ranked Justin Zhang followed with a straight-set victory over Brendon Millington in the No. 2 slot, 6-4, 6-0, giving the Tritons a commanding 4-1 advantage.
In doubles action back on Feb. 14, UC San Diego’s No. 2 team of Tseng and Zhang knocked off Erion and Okamoto, 8-0, while the Tritons No. 1 duo of Isaia and sophomore Sreeganesh Manoharan held off Dafcik and Jack Alston, 8-4.
UCSD’s lone loss of the match came in No. 3 doubles play, as the Tritons team of Jarlskog and freshman Neil Tengbumroong fell to Millington and Grant Alston, 8-7.
UC San Diego has now won two-consecutive dual matches and resumes dual-match play with a home contest against Villanova on Thursday, March 1, beginning at 9 a.m.
#18 UC San Diego 8, Point Loma 1
Feb. 26, 2018 at La Jolla, Calif. (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Dafcik, Thomas (PLNU-MT) 6-2, 6-1
2. #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Millington, Brendon (PLNU-MT) 6-4, 6-0
3. Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Erion, CJ (PLNU-MT) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
4. Eskil Jarlskog (UCSD) def. Okamoto, Yuki (PLNU-MT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Richard Han (UCSD) def. Alston, Jack (PLNU-MT) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Marius Ruh (UCSD) def. Smit, Ben (PLNU-MT) 7-6 (6-4), 6-1
1. Marc Isaia/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Dafcik, Thomas/Alston, Jack (PLNU-MT) 8-4
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Erion, CJ/Okamoto, Yuki (PLNU-MT) 8-0
3. Millington, Brendon/Alston, Grant (PLNU-MT) def. Eskil Jarlskog/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) 8-7
Point Loma 3-4
UC San Diego 2-2; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,4,3,6,5)