No. 14 UC San Diego Tops No. 22 Point Loma, 6-3
SAN DIEGO - Earning its second-straight victory Wednesday, the 14th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team defeated No. 22 Point Loma by a 6-3 score at PLNU Tennis Courts.
UC San Diego swept the doubles matches to get out to a 3-0 lead.
At No. 1, Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou were 8-6 winners over Shelby Groeneveld and Nikki Newell. The pair improved to 7-2 on the season. Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil cruised to an 8-2 victory against Gabi Armas and Carolina Cuevas Bucio at No. 2. Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight completed the Triton sweep with a hard-fought, 8-7 (7-4) win vs. Nicole Camaratta and Ellie Gamble at No. 3.
The singles portion of the contest was a battle as four of six matches went to three sets.
Jasmine Hosseini put UCSD up 4-0 as her No. 4 match was the first to come off the courts. She earned a 6-2, 6-1, straight-set victory against Gamble. Hosseini now holds a team-best 7-1 record this season.
The Sea Lions then mounted a comeback, winning the next three singles tilts to finish. They were behind by just a point, 4-3, after taking the No. 6, No. 2, and No. 5 match-ups.
However, Chao clinched the win for the Tritons with her topping of Newell at No. 1. She won the opening set, 6-3, but dropped the second by a 6-4 score. Chao rolled to a 6-2 win in the third.
Weil closed out the day with a 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) victory vs. Groeneveld at No. 3.
UCSD, which has won five of its last six matches, improved to 5-4, while PLNU fell to 6-3.
The Tritons play their next eight matches at home, starting with NCAA Division I opponent Villanova on Friday, March 2 at 2 p.m.
#14 UC San Diego 6, #22 Point Loma 3
Feb. 28, 2018 at San Diego, CA (PLNU Tennis Courts)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Nikki Newell (PLNU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Carolina Cuevas Bucio (PLNU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Shelby Groeneveld (PLNU) 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Ellie Gamble (PLNU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Gabi Armas (PLNU) def. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Michelle Torres (PLNU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Shelby Groeneveld/Nikki Newell (PLNU) 8-6
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Gabi Armas/Carolina Cuevas Bucio (PLNU) 8-2
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Nicole Camaratta/Ellie Gamble (PLNU) 8-7 (7-4)
Point Loma 6-3; National ranking #22; Regional ranking #7
UC San Diego 5-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,2,5,1,3)
Official: Mario Moreano