No. 18 Tritons Stay Hot: Defeat No. 19 Hawaii Pacific 6-3, Boston University 5-2
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 18 University of California San Diego men's tennis team earned two big home victories on consecutive days at Northview Tennis Courts.
The Tritons defeated West Region rival and No. 19-ranked Hawai'i Pacific, 6-3, on Wednesday evening, before quickly turning around to knock off Boston University, 5-2, on Thursday morning.
UC San Diego (6-2) has now won six consecutive dual matches.
The Tritons swept doubles play against Hawai'i Pacific en route to Wednesday's dual-match victory, having already defeated the Sharks in Kona, Hawaii, last month by the same 6-3 score. The No. 1 team of sophomores Marc Isaia and Sreeganesh Manoharan earned a close win against Maxime Gayte and Gerardo Irrarrazabal, 8-7 (8), while the No. 2 unit of seniors Eric Tseng and Justin Zhang knocked off Juan Erro and Benjamin Loccisano, 8-3.
In singles action, No. 21-ranked Tseng got the Tritons off to a fast start with a victory over 27th-ranked Loccisano, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 1 slot, while Tengbumroong followed with a straight-set victory against Elduque, 6-2, 6-0.
Hawai'i Pacific finally earned a win when 46th-ranked Irrarrazabal topped Isaia in the No. 3 slot, 6-3, 6-3, and No. 39-ranked Zhang dropped his No. 2 singles contest to Gayte, 7-5, 6-2.
Junior Richard Han came up short against Erro in a thrilling No. 5-singles battle, 6-7 (2), 7-6 (3), 10-5. However, Jarlskog finished the match on a high note for the Tritons, defeating Lyttle in a long, grueling No. 4 singles matchup, 3-6, 7-6 (4), 18-16.
The Tritons carried their momentum going into Thursday morning with a victory over Division I Boston University.
Doubles action began with UC San Diego's No. 3 duo of sophomore Marius Ruh and Tengbumroong dropping its match to Ethan Kolsky and Owen Lu, 6-2, before the Tritons' No. 2 team of Tseng and Zhang defeated J.P. Avila and David Bogatin, 6-2, to even it up.
UC San Diego earned the doubles point when its No. 1 unit of Isaia and Manoharan topped Pedro Gutierrez and Satyajit Simhadri, 7-5.
No. 39-ranked Zhang began singles play with a straight-sets win against Lu, 6-3, 6-3, but Ruh fell short in his No. 6 singles matchup with Kolsky, 7-5, 6-4.
Isaia lost a No. 3 singles contest against Bogatin, 6-3, 6-3, to tie the dual match at 2-2, but No. 21-ranked Tseng defeated Simhadri, 6-4, 6-4, to put the Tritons back on top. Han sealed the dual-match victory with a three-set win in No. 4 singles against Gutierrez, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
With the final outcome already decided, Tengbumroong wrapped up his No. 5 singles victory over Marc Sable in three sets, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.
UC San Diego resumes action this Sunday, March 11, when it plays host to another Division I foe in Bucknell beginning at 10 a.m.
#18 UC San Diego 6, #19 Hawai'i Pacific 3
March 7, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. #27 Benjamin Loccisano (HPU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Maxime Gayte (HPU) def. #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) 7-5, 6-2
3. #46 Gerardo Irrarrazabal (HPU) def. Marc Isaia (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Eskil Jarlskog (UCSD) def. Jack Lyttle (HPU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 18-16
5. Juan Erro (HPU) def. Richard Han (UCSD) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-3), 10-5
6. Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Adrian Elduque (HPU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Marc Isaia/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Maxime Gayte/Gerardo Irrarrazabal (HPU) 8-7 (10-8)
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Juan Erro/Benjamin Loccisano (HPU) 8-3
3. Eskil Jarlskog/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Adrian Elduque/Jack Lyttle (HPU) 8-3
Hawai'i Pacific 0-4; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #2
UC San Diego 5-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,3,2,5,4)
#18 UC San Diego 5, Boston University 2
March 8, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Satyajit Simhadri (BU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Owen Lu (BU) 6-3, 6-3
3. David Bogatin (BU) def. Marc Isaia (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Richard Han (UCSD) def. Pedro Gutierrez (BU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Marc Sable (BU) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Ethan Kolsky (BU) def. Marius Ruh (UCSD) 7-5, 6-4
1. Marc Isaia/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Pedro Gutierrez/Satyajit Simhadri (BU) 7-5
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. J.P. Avila/David Bogatin (BU) 6-2
3. Ethan Kolsky/Owen Lu (BU) def. Marius Ruh/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) 6-2
Boston University 7-7
UC San Diego 6-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,3,1,4,5)