Becky Chou's Late Singles Victory Lifts No. 16 Tritons past Concordia Irvine, 5-4
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — The No. 16 University of California San Diego women’s tennis team won its fourth-straight dual match on Monday afternoon, defeating Concordia Irvine, 5-4, at Costa Mesa Tennis Center.
With the score knotted up 4-4 late in singles action, No. 55-ranked sophomore Becky Chou earned a come-from-behind, three-set No. 1 singles victory over 28th-ranked Anastasiia Kuprina, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (2), to clinch the dual-match victory.
Monday’s match began with doubles play, as UC San Diego (12-9) won two of three matches to take an early lead.
The Tritons No. 3 team of senior Nousha Nowamooz and junior Chloe Wight topped Haley Diefenbach and Ashley Glick, 8-4, before UC San Diego No. 2 unit of juniors Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil knocked off Johanna Keeline and Ghazal Pakbaten, 8-5.
The only blemish in doubles action with the No. 1 duo of Chou and senior Jasmine Hosseini dropped a close match to Anastasila Kuprina and Samantha Schuster, 9-7.
In singles play, the two teams split six matches en route to the Tritons pulling out the narrow dual-match victory.
Housseini started play with a straight-sets win in No. 3 singles over Keeline, 6-4, 6-2, before Hale lost a three-set battle in No. 6 singles to Kathrine Jensen, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Sophomore Valeria Corral followed with a No. 4 singles victory against Schuster, 6-4, 7-5, but 40th-ranked Weil dropped a three-set showdown with ninth-ranked Pakbaten, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.
After Wight fell short to Ghada Al-Ajeely in the No. 5 slot, 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4, Chou finished the day with her match-winning victory in No. 1 singles.
UC San Diego returns to action the Friday, April 13, with a home match against Azusa Pacific beginning at 2 p.m.
#16 UC San Diego 5, Concordia 4
Apr 09, 2018 at Newport Beach, CA (Costa Mesa Tennis Center)
1. #55 Becky Chou (UCSD) def. #28 Anastasiia Kuprina (CUI) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
2. #9 Ghazal Pakbaten (CUI) def. #40 Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
3. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Johanna Keeline (CUI) 6-4, 6-2
4. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Samantha Schuster (CUI) 6-4, 7-5
5. Ghada Al-Ajeely (CUI) def. Chloe Wight (UCSD) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
6. Kathrine Jensen (CUI) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Anastasiia Kuprina/Samantha Schuster (CUI) def. Becky Chou/Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 9-7
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Johanna Keeline/Ghazal Pakbaten (CUI) 8-5
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Haley Diefenbach/Ashley Glick (CUI) 8-4
UC San Diego 12-9; National ranking #16; Regional ranking #3
Concordia 9-10; Regional ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,4,2,5,1)