HILO, Hawaiii. - The No. 14 UC San Diego men's tennis team defeated No. 18 BYU-Hawaii by a score of 6-3 Saturday in its second match of three on the Hawaiian islands.
UCSD, which improved to 4-3 with its third consecutive win, took four of six singles match-ups and two of three doubles tilts.
"We had pretty good control to start out doubles, but BYU-Hawaii fought back and made it really close," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing.”
In doubles play, Alexandre Miaule and Horea Porutiu paired up at No. 2 and posted a 9-7 win against Wei-Feng Lee and Dai Peng. Rajeev Herekar and Mark Meyer won at No. 3, downing Taylor DeHoyos and Ibrahim Karmadzha by an 8-4 score.
Continuing his strong junior year, Meyer moved to 7-0 in singles play with a 6-2, 6-1 win against DeHoyos at No. 6.
The Tritons also won the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles tilts. Herekar defeated Lee in the third spot (6-4, retired), Ganesh Alagappan took the win at No. 4 against Karmadzha (6-2, 2-6, 10-6) and Kona Luu won his No. 5 contest against Peng (6-4, 6-3)
“I am happy with the win, the guys competed well," said Willing. "We had to come over here and get two out of the three matches. We got that job done early, which allows us to be a little more relaxed going into Sunday against Hawaii Pacific, one of the best teams I have seen in the time that I have been here.”
The Tritons and Sea Warriors, ranked fifth nationally, go at it Sunday at 3 p.m (PT).
#14 UC San Diego 6, #18 BYU-Hawaii 3
Feb 15, 2014 at Hilo, HI
1.Yevhen Zahkarov (BYUH) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 3-6, 7-6, 10-5
2. Martin Chojnacki (BYUH) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Wei-Feng Lee (BYUH) 6-4, retired
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Ibrahim Karmadzha (BYUH) 6-2, 2-6, 10-6
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Dai Peng (BYUH) 6-4, 6-3
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Taylor DeHoyos (BYUH) 6-2, 6-1
1. Martin Chojnacki/Yevhen Zahkarov (BYUH) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-3
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Wei-Feng Lee/Dai Peng (BYUH) 9-7
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Taylor DeHoyos/Ibrahim Karmadzha (BYUH) 8-4
UC San Diego 4-3; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
BYU-Hawaii 2-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,5,2,4,1)