HOLUA, Hawaii - The 17th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team wrapped up its Hawaii road trip Sunday with a 7-2 loss against No. 4 Hawaii Pacific in Holua.
The loss dropped UCSD to 3-4 on the season, while HPU remained unbeaten at 4-0.
Both of the Tritons' victories came in singles play. At No. 1, Kyra Scott went up against Celina Goetti. Scott dropped the opening set, 3-6, but came back to win the second by a score of 6-3. The sophomore went on to take the tiebreaker, 10-4, to improve to 4-3 in singles play on the year.
At No. 6, Lisa Asai faced Lea Kruse-Utermann. Asai lost the first set, 3-6. With the score even at 5-5 in the second frame, Kruse-Utermann was forced to retire due to injury, giving the win to the Triton, her second of the season.
The Sea Warriors won the other four singles matches in straight sets.
HPU won the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles match-ups by an 8-2 score.
UCSD plays its next three matches at home, starting with Whittier on Friday, Feb. 21 (2 p.m.).
#4 Hawaii Pacific 7, #17 UC San Diego 2
Feb 16, 2014 at Holua, HI
1. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Celina Goetti (HPU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
2. Karen Ramirez (HPU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
3. Magdalena Smejova (HPU) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Lorena Gheorghe (HPU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Vivian Hansen (HPU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
6. Lisa Asai (UCSD) def. Lea Kruse-Utermann (HPU) 3-6, 5-5, retired
1. Vivian Hansen/Lea Kruse-Utermann (HPU) def. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-2
2. Celina Goetti/Karen Ramirez (HPU) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-2
3. Lorena Gheorghe/Magdalena Smejova (HPU) def. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) 9-8
UC San Diego 3-4; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #4
Hawaii Pacific 4-0; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,5,6,2,1)