KONA, Hawaii - In its final match of three in Hawaii, the 14th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team was blanked, 9-0, by No. 5 Hawaii Pacific Sunday in Kona.
After going 2-1 during the tough road swing, UCSD now carries an even 4-4 record on the season. HPU, which has defeated two NCAA Division I squads already this year, is 3-0. The Tritons are ranked fourth in the West Region, while the Sea Warriors are first.
HPU won five of the six singles match-ups in straight sets. Petr Michnev, ranked second in singles nationally, topped Max Jiganti at No. 1, 6-3 and 6-3.
Rajeev Herekar was the lone Triton to take a match past two sets. At No. 2 against Thibaud Berland, he lost the opener, 6-1, but won the second set, 7-6. However, Berland cruised to a 10-2 victory in the tiebreaker.
Mark Meyer entered the match undefeated in singles play at 7-0. He suffered his first loss of the season, falling to Yann Renault by scores of 6-4 and 6-4 in a competitive No. 5 contest.
While in Hawaii, the Tritons defeated No. 18 BYU-Hawaii (6-3) and Hawaii Hilo (8-1).
UCSD plays at Division I UC Riverside on Wednesday, Feb. 19 (12 p.m.).
#5 Hawaii Pacific 9, #14 UC San Diego 0
Feb 16, 2014 at Kona, HI
1. Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
2. Thibaud Berland (HPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-1, 6-7, 10-2
3. Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-1, 6-3
4. Mattis Wetzel (HPU) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 7-6, 6-0
5. Yann Renault (HPU) def. Mark Meyer (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
6. Adriano Locorotondo (HPU) def. Maxence Dutreix (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
1. Thibaud Berland/Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-2
2. Jaume Martinez-Vich/Mattis Wetzel (HPU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) 8-2
3. Adriano Locorotondo/Yann Renault (HPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 4-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
Hawaii Pacific 3-0; National ranking #5; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,3,1,2,5)