No. 18 UC San Diego Drops 6-3 Decision to No. 11 Azusa Pacific
LA JOLLA, Calif. - In its final home match of the season Friday, the 18th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to No. 11 Azusa Pacific at Northview Tennis Courts.
APU stormed out to a 3-0 lead by sweeping the doubles tilts in the meeting between the West Region rivals. At No. 1, UC San Diego's 35th-ranked duo of Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou were defeated, 8-5, by Petra Ivankovic and Toby Miclat.
The Tritons climbed back to within a point at 4-3 as they won three of the first four singles matches to finish. At No. 5, Valeria Corral (San Diego/Mater Dei Catholic HS) downed 41st-ranked April Wong, 6-1, 6-3. At No. 4, Jasmine Hosseini earned a 7-5, 6-4 win over Kara Hinton. No. 28 Chou topped No. 20 Ivankovic by scores of 6-2 and 7-6 (7-5) in the second singles spot.
However, the Cougars took the next two singles matches to clinch the win, but they didn't come easy. At No. 6, UCSD's Chloe Wight battled but lost by scores of 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-3). At No. 3, 31st-ranked Alexandra Weil was upset by No. 61 Diana Baumgartnere in three sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
The loss snapped a four-match win streak for UC San Diego, which fell to 12-10 on the season. Azusa Pacific improved to 17-6.
The Tritons conclude their regular season at Cal State LA on April 14.
#11 Azusa Pacific 6, #18 UC San Diego 3
April 13, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #8 Toby Miclat (APU) def. #18 Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
2. #28 Becky Chou (UCSD) def. #20 Petra Ivankovic (APU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. #61 Diana Baumgartnere (APU) def. #31 Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Kara Hinton (APU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. #41 April Wong (APU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jackie Resler (APU) def. Chloe Wight (UCSD) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-3)
1. Petra Ivankovic/Toby Miclat (APU) def. #35 Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-5
2. Diana Baumgartnere/Kara Hinton (APU) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 8-5
3. Courtney Page/Mikayla Rinker (APU) def. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 8-4
Azusa Pacific 17-6; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #6
UC San Diego 12-10; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,4,2,6,3)