The renovated Triton Softball Field, which features
new dugouts, a netted backstop,
fencing and a press box, was made possible by a $250,000 contribution
from Dana Chaiken (UCSD Class of 1991). It was the largest contribution
ever made by an alumni athlete. The first official game on the new
field took place on
Feb. 12, 2010 between UCSD and Chico State.
Arguably the top softball facility at the Division II level, Triton Softball Field is located just north of RIMAC Arena. It has a capacity of 750, with grandstand seating behind home plate and down the foul lines. Many fans also choose to enjoy games beyond the outfield fence while sitting in lawn chairs.
While the field renovations were taking place during 2009, the neighboring RIMAC Annex was also being constructed. The Annex features meeting rooms, study lounges, the Shortstop Convenience Store, Peet's Coffee and Tea and Homeplate Cafe.
In Google Maps, enter this address for nearest lot to Triton Softball Field:
9730 Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
Directions to Triton Softball Field
- From Interstate 5, Exit Genesee Ave.
- Head west on Genesee
- Turn left on Torrey Pines Rd.
- Turn left at the next signal (Northpoint Drive - UCSD North Campus Entrance)
- Continue through 2 stop signs, as the road curves to the right it becomes John Hopkins Drive
- Park in Hopkins Parking Structure. Triton Softball Field is directly north of the parking
- Parking permits are required (Mon-Fri only) and can be obtained
from the Northpoint information booth (To the right of the second stop
sign on Northpoint Drive are parking permit machines.) or any level of
Hopkins Parking Structure.