KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The No. 21 UC San Diego men's tennis team earned an 8-1 decision over Hawaii Hilo Friday in its first match of three on the islands.
UCSD won all six singles matches and two of three doubles tilts to improve to 3-2 on the season. Five of the singles victories came in straight sets. It was UHH's first contest of the year.
"We were very strong in singles," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "It was great to get this win after a long flight and getting in late last night. It was a solid start to the trip."
In the No. 1 singles spot, Camill Salomon defeated Tom Greer-Smith by scores of 6-3 and 6-3. At No. 2, Max Jiganti took down Spencer Travalino, 6-3 and 6-2. The No. 3 singles match was the only one to extend past two sets as Rajeev Herekar downed Kainoa Rosa, 7-6, 6-7 and 10-4 in the tiebreaker.
The duo of Jiganti and Luu began the day with a solid 8-1 win against Michael Davis and Travalino in the No. 2 doubles spot. Herekar and Truong followed suit with an 8-1 drubbing of Makoa Rosa and Caden Yamamoto at No. 3.
Greer-Smith and Kainoa Rosa picked up the Vulcans' lone win of the afternoon, defeating Salomon and Devon Sousa, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles.
"We struggled a little bit with the serve at No. 1 doubles," said Willing. "At No. 2 and No. 3, we took care of business, getting on top early and not letting up."
The Tritons, who have won three consecutive matches, face a tough test next as they take on Hawaii Pacific, ranked fifth nationally, in Kailua-Kona on Sunday, Feb. 17 at noon (PT).
#21 UC San Diego 8, Hawaii Hilo 1
Feb 15, 2013 at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Tom Greer-Smith (UHH) 6-3, 6-3
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Spencer Travalino (UHH) 6-3, 6-2
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Kainoa Rosa (UHH) 7-6, 6-7, 10-4
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Michael Davis (UHH) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Prycen Haas (UHH) 6-0, 6-2
6. Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Caden Yamamoto (UHH) 6-0, 6-1
1. Tom Greer-Smith/Kainoa Rosa (UHH) def. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) 8-5
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Michael Davis/Spencer Travalino (UHH) 8-1
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Makoa Rosa/Caden Yamamoto (UHH) 8-1
UC San Diego 3-2; National ranking #21
Hawaii Hilo 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,5,1,2,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --