LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 14 University of California San Diego men's tennis team defeated Villanova 4-3 Thursday afternoon at Northview Courts. The win marks the Tritons' fifth victory in a row.
UCSD improves to 6-3 and Villanova falls to 2-3 on the year.
#36 Eric Tseng achieved victory at the No. 1 slot in singles, beating Luis Miranda 6-1, 6-4.
At No. 2, Justin Zhang defeated Stefan Suarez in three frames, 5-6, 6-0, 6-2. At No. 3, UCSD saw its first loss of the singles competition when Tyler Roth got the best of Marc Isaia and defeated him 6-2, 6-3.
Rodrigo Amaral was victorious at the No. 6 slot, beating Alastair Hurry 6-2, 6-3.
Larsson and Alexandre Miaule took down Will Elmore and Miranda in an 8-4 decision in the No. 1 doubles spot.
At No. 2, Sreeganesh Manoharan and Tseng were defeated by Roth and Suarez, 8-4. Down a spot, Amaral and Zhang rounded out the doubles matches with an 8-7 (8-6) win over Dodson and Tommy Mulflur.
Up next, the Tritons will face No. 1 Hawaii Pacific on Saturday, March 4 at Northview Courts. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.
#14 UC San Diego 4, Villanova 3
Mar 02, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #36 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Luis Miranda (VU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Stefan Suarez (VU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
3. Tyler Roth (VU) def. Marc Isaia (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
4. Dylan Flanagan (VU) def. Marius Ruh (UCSD) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Thomas Dodson (VU) def. Edvin Larsson (UCSD) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Rodrigo Amaral (UCSD) def. Alastair Hurry (VU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Edvin Larsson/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Will Elmore/Luis Miranda (VU) 8-4
2. Tyler Roth/Stefan Suarez (VU) def. Sreeganesh Manoharan/Eric Tseng (UCSD) 8-4
3. Rodrigo Amaral/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Thomas Dodson/Tommy Mulflur (VU) 8-7 (8-6)
UC San Diego 6-3; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3,4,2,5)