LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 14 University of California San Diego men's tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss against NCAA Division I opponent Georgetown Sunday at Northview Courts.
With its second straight defeat, UCSD fell to 6-5 on the season. GU improved to 3-3.
The top three spots in the singles competition saw only one Triton victory, with Justin Zhang taking a 1-6, 7-5, 4-5 victory at No. 2 after Marco Lam bowed out.
Edvin Larsson tallied a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the No. 4 slot against Yannik Mahlangu. Sreeganesh Manoharan and Adrian Cordova both were defeated, Manoharan by Ian Witmer (6-3, 6-2) and Cordova by Jack Murphy (6-0, 6-1).
At No. 1 in doubles, Larsson and Manoharan fell to Beatty and Jordan Portner 7-6 (7-4).
In the No. 2 spot, Tseng and Zhang pulled out a 6-1 victory versus Lam and Mahlangu. Cordova and Ruh rounded out the doubles competition with a 7-6 (9-7) loss to Chen and Witmer.
On Saturday, March 11, UC San Diego will take on Concordia next at Northview Courts. The match will start at 12:00 p.m.
Georgetown 5, #14 UC San Diego 2
March 5, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Peter Beatty (GU) def. #36 Eric Tseng (UCSD) 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
2. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Marco Lam (GU) 1-6, 7-5, 4-5, retired
3. Michael Chen (GU) def. Marius Ruh (UCSD) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
4. Edvin Larsson (UCSD) def. Yannik Mahlangu (GU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Ian Witmer (GU) def. Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jack Murphy (GU) def. Adrian Cordova (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
1. Peter Beatty/Jordan Portner (GU) def. Edvin Larsson/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Marco Lam/Yannik Mahlangu (GU) 6-1
3. Michael Chen/Ian Witmer (GU) def. Adrian Cordova/Marius Ruh (UCSD) 7-6 (9-7)
UC San Diego 6-5; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,5,1,4,3,2)