LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 13th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team narrowly escaped with a 5-4 victory over Emory University Friday afternoon at Northview Courts.
With the win, the Tritons improve to 10-1 and Emory falls to 4-2.
The No. 2 and 3 spots in the singles matches saw UCSD wins. Ashley Chao beat Michelle Satterfield 6-3, 6-2. Becky Chou took down Daniela Lopez in an extended bout, winning with a final score of 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 7-5.
At No. 1, Britta Mosser fell to Bridget Harding in three sets 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
At the No. 5 slot, Alexandra Weil defeated Melissa Goodman in two, coming away with a 6-4, 6-3 win.
The duo of Harding and Su defeated Mosser and Shannon Theisen by a score of 8-1 in the top spot in the doubles matches.
However, at No. 2 Chao and Chou were victorious against Lopez and Castro (8-6). At No. 3, Madison Hale and Weil also won, beating Satterfield and Michelle DeMeo 8-3.
Up next, UCSD will host No. 23 Sonoma State on Sunday, March 12. The match will begin at 12:00 p.m.
No. 13 UC San Diego 5, Emory 4
March 10, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Bridget Harding (EU) def. Britta Mosser (UCSD) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Michelle Satterfield (EU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Daniela Lopez (EU) 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 7-5
4. Katarina Su (EU) def. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Melissa Goodman (EU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Paula Castro (EU) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-4, 6-1
1. Bridget Harding/Katarina Su (EU) def. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-1
2. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Daniela Lopez/Paula Castro (EU) 8-6
3. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Michelle Satterfield/Michelle DeMeo (EU) 8-3
UC San Diego 10-1; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,5,2,1,3)