CLAREMONT, Calif. - The ninth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team opened its season Saturday afternoon with a 6-3 loss at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
At No. 1 singles, junior Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) was a straight-set winner for UC San Diego, defeating Nicole Tan by scores of 6-2 and 7-6 (7-5).
Alexandra Weil, also a junior, earned a singles victory at No. 3, topping Kyla Scott in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3.
The Tritons were also victorious at the top doubles slot as Chao teamed with sophomore Becky Chou for an 8-3 win over Tan and Lindsay Brown.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, ranked third nationally in the NCAA Division III ranks, improved to 3-0 with the win.
UC San Diego hosts its first match of the young season Sunday as it entertains Division I opponent UC Davis at 11 a.m.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 6, #9 UC San Diego 3
Feb. 3, 2018 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Nicole Tan (CMS) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Catherine Allen (CMS) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Kyla Scott (CMS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lindsay Brown (CMS) def. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Caroline Cox (CMS) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 7-5, 6-3
6. Anastasia Bryan (CMS) def. Shuchen Lin (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Lindsay Brown/Nicole Tan (CMS) 8-3
2. Catherine Allen/Caroline Cox (CMS) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 8-4
3. Juliette Martin/Kyla Scott (CMS) def. Shuchen Lin/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 8-3
UC San Diego 0-1; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,6,1,5,2)