LA JOLLA, Calif. - The ninth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team earned its first victory of the season Sunday as it defeated NCAA Division I opponent Idaho State by a 5-4 score at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego is now 1-3 overall while Idaho State is 1-4.
The Tritons won two of three doubles matches and three of six singles contests.
At the No. 1 singles slot, Ashley Chao defeated Hristina Cvetkovic in three sets, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Jasmine Hosseini was a winner at No. 4 as she handily took down Melissa Coburn in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-0. Valeria Corral also won in straight sets as she posted a 7-5, 6-2 win against Megan Poe at No. 5.
Hosseini moved to 3-1 in singles play with Sunday's win.
Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil were 8-4 winners against Hristina Cvetkovic and Megan Poe at No. 2 doubles. Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight downed Melissa Coburn and Madison Fenske at No. 3, also by an 8-4 count.
UC San Diego looks to stay on a winning track as it plays three matches in Hawai'i between Feb. 16-18. The Tritons take on Hawai'i Hilo, Chaminade, and fourth-ranked Hawai'i Pacific.
#9 UC San Diego 5, Idaho State 4
Feb. 11, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
2. Huibre-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 7-5
3. Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Melissa Coburn (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Megan Poe (ISU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Angela Walker (ISU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 10-7
1. Louise-Mare Botes/Huibre-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-4
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Hristina Cvetkovic/Megan Poe (ISU) 8-4
3. Chloe Wight/Nousha Nowamooz (UCSD) def. Madison Fenske/Melissa Coburn (ISU) 8-4
UC San Diego 1-3
Idaho State 1-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,2,1,5,6)