LA JOLLA, Calif. - For the third-straight match, the 14th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team swept the doubles contests as it won, 4-3, against NCAA Division I opponent Villanova Friday afternoon at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego won the doubles point after emerging victorious in all three match-ups. At No. 1, Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou took down Lindsey Evans and Victoria Martinez, 6-2. Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil defeated Lexi DeNucci and Kaylan Rotman, 6-3 at No. 2, while Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight dispatched Claudia Althans and Paulina Bajet, 7-6 (7-2) at No. 3.
Chao and Chou improved to a team-best 8-2 with today's win.
The Tritons also took the trio of doubles contests in recent victories against West Region rivals Point Loma and Cal State LA.
Chao gave the Tritons a 2-0 lead when she topped DeNucci in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-2, at No. 1 singles. The junior is now 7-3 in singles action this season.
The Wildcats evened the match at 2-2 by picking up singles wins at No. 6 and No. 3. However, the next two tilts to come off the courts were won by UCSD.
At No. 4, 40th-ranked Valeria Corral put the Tritons up 3-2 when she won against Alexandra Krogius in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. The match win was clinched at No. 2 when Chou defeated Althans, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
UCSD improved to 5-4 overall, while Villanova fell to 1-4.
Friday's match was the first of eight-straight home contests for UC San Diego. The Tritons host Dominican on Sunday, March 4, at 10:30 a.m.
#14 UC San Diego 4, Villanova 3
March 2, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Lexi DeNucci (VU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Claudia Althans (VU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Lindsey Evans (VU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
4. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Alexandra Krogius (VU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Victoria Martinez (VU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Carina Burdick (VU) def. Shuchen Lin (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Lindsey Evans/Victoria Martinez (VU) 6-2
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Lexi DeNucci/Kaylan Rotman (VU) 6-3
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Claudia Althans/Paulina Bajet (VU) 7-6 (7-2)
UC San Diego 6-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,3,4,2,5)
Official: Ed Dominguez