No. 18 UC San Diego Tops Holy Names to Win Fourth-Straight Dual Match
LA JOLLA, Calif. — The No. 18 University of California San Diego men’s tennis team was sharp once again on Sunday afternoon, defeating visiting Holy Names, 8-1, at Northview Tennis Courts.
The Tritons have now won four-consecutive dual matches.
UC San Diego (4-2) got off to a good start in doubles play, winning two of three matches. The duo of seniors Eric Tseng and Justin Zhang moved up to the No. 1 slot and defeated Hugo Colpart and Alex Vinee-Munoz, 8-1, while the Tritons No. 3 unit of junior Richard Han and sophomore Marius Ruh topped Valentin Baranyi and Taylor Bryant, 8-3.
The Tritons swept singles play, starting with Han defeating Bryant in the No. 5 spot, 6-0, 6-2, while Tengbumroong followed with his own straight-sets victory over Baranyi, 6-0, 6-0, in No. 6 singles.
Tseng, the 21st-ranked singles player in the nation, earned a No. 1 singles win against Vinee-Munoz, 6-1, 6-4, and Jarlskog defeated Luque in the No. 4 slot, 6-4, 6-3.
Sophomore Marc Isaia won his No. 3 singles match against Hennebelle, 6-2, 7-5, while No. 39-ranked Zhang defeated Colpart, 6-4, 6-4.
UC San Diego resumes play on Wednesday, March 7, when the Tritons play host to Hawai'i Pacific beginning at 3 p.m., in a rematch of last month’s dual match.
#18 UC San Diego 8, Holy Names 1
March 4, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Alex Vinee-Munoz (HNU-MT) 6-1, 6-4
2. #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Hugo Colpart (HNU-MT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Vincent Hennebelle (HNU-MT) 6-2, 7-5
4. Eskil Jarlskog (UCSD) def. Javier Luque (HNU-MT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Richard Han (UCSD) def. Valentin Baranyi (HNU-MT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Taylor Bryant (HNU-MT) 6-0, 6-2
1. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Hugo Colpart/Alex Vinee-Munoz (HNU-MT) 8-1
2. Vincent Hennebelle/Javier Luque (HNU-MT) def. Eskil Jarlskog/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) 8-5
3. Richard Han/Marius Ruh (UCSD) def. Valentin Baranyi/Taylor Bryant (HNU-MT) 8-3
Holy Names 2-6; Regional ranking #9
UC San Diego 4-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)