LA JOLLA, Calif. — The No. 18 University of San Diego men’s tennis team continued its strong play on Sunday afternoon, defeating visiting Bucknell, 6-1, at Northview Tennis Courts.
The Tritons have now won seven-consecutive dual matches and are a perfect 6-0 at home.
The dual match began with doubles play, as UC San Diego (7-2) won two of three matches to win the doubles point.
The Tritons No. 3 duo of junior Richard Han and freshman Neil Tengbumroong defeated Timber Erskine and Drew Krantz, 6-3, while the No. 1 team of sophomores Marc Isaia and Sreeganesh Manoharan topped Ben Gerber and Daniel Wright, 6-3, to clinch the point.
Singles action began with sophomore Marius Ruh defeating Max Garramone in No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-1, while No. 21-ranked Tseng earned a straight-set No. 1 singles win against Wright, 6-2, 6-2.
Tengbumroong clinched the dual-match victory with his No. 5 singles win over Gerber, 6-2, 6-3, and with the final outcome already decided, Han dropped a hard-fought No. 4 singles contest to Colin Sacco, 6-3, 3-6, 10-6.
Isaia defeated Max Kane in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, in the the No. 3 slot, while No. 39-ranked Zhang closed the dual match with a No. 2 singles victory against Vitiuc, 6-0, 3-6, 6-3.
UC San Diego resumes dual play on Wednesday, March 14, as the Tritons play host to Western New Mexico, beginning at 3 p.m.
#18 UC San Diego 6, Bucknell 1
Mar 11, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 6-2
2. #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
3. Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
4. Colin Sacco (BUCKNELL) def. Richard Han (UCSD) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
5. Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Ben Gerber (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 6-3
6. Marius Ruh (UCSD) def. Max Garramone (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 6-1
1. Marc Isaia/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) def. Ben Gerber/Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 6-3
2. Max Kane/Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) def. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) 7-5
3. Richard Han/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Timber Erskine/Drew Krantz (BUCKNELL) 6-3
UC San Diego 7-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)