Friday Night Lights: No. 17 Tritons Set for Home Showdown vs. No. 12 LMU
LA JOLLA, Calif. — Following the thrilling Triton Invitational last weekend at Canyonview Aquatic Center, the No. T-17 University of California San Diego women's water polo team is back in action in front of its home fans on Friday night against No. T-12 Loyola Marymount.
The game will be streamed live on ucsdtritons.tv and is set to begin at 6 p.m. Live stats will also be available.
The Tritons are coming off a thrilling victory over No. 16 Long Beach State, 9-6, to finish play at the Triton Invite. UC San Diego (4-5) earned ninth place out of 16 teams at the event.
In addition, the Tritons earned wins against No. T-25 Marist as well as Western Water Polo Association (WWPA) foe No. RV Cal State East Bay.
UC San Diego is 11-2 in its last 13 home games at Canyonview Aquatic Center, and has won four-straight meetings against Loyola Marymount.
UC SAN DIEGO VITALS
National Rank: T-17 (CWPA)
BIG (WEST) NEWS FOR UC SAN DIEGO ATHLETICS
On Nov. 27, UC San Diego was officially invited to become a member of the NCAA Division I Big West Conference. The Tritons will begin a four-year reclassification period starting in the fall of 2020 and will play a full Big West schedule. However, UC San Diego women's water polo will join the Big West Conference in the spring of 2020 and immediately resume its eligibility to compete in the NCAA Championship. For the 2024-25 academic year, all sports will be eligible to compete in Big West and NCAA Division I championships. Read the full press release here.
BENNETT BUGELLI NAMED WWPA PLAYER OF THE WEEK
UC San Diego sophomore goalkeeper Bennett Bugelli has been named Western Water Polo Association (WWPA) Player of the Week, the conference announced on Wednesday. A native of La Jolla, Calif., Bugelli racked up a total of 29 saves over the weekend at the 2019 Triton Invitational, highlighted by a 13-save performance in a 9-6 victory over No. 16 Long Beach State to close tournament play. Bugelli also had eight saves in a thrilling one-point loss to No. 7 UC Santa Barbara, 4-3, which was the Tritons’ only blemish during the weekend.
- The Tritons are ranked No. T-17 in the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) Top 25.
- UC San Diego has won six-consecutive Western Water Polo Association (WWPA) championships en route to six-straight NCAA Tournament appearances.
- The Tritons have won 11 of their last 13 home games at Canyonview Aquatic Center, including postseason play.
- UC San Diego is 20-26 all-time against Loyola Marymount, but has won four-straight meetings against the Lions.
- The Tritons have already faced three teams this season ranked in the top-10 of the CWPA Top 25 (No. 1 USC, No. 5 Hawai'i and No. 7 UC Santa Barbara), and four other opponents ranked in the top 25 (No. 13 Indiana, No. 14 Wagner, No. 16 Long Beach State and No. T-25 Marist).
- The Tritons are coming off a 3-1 performance in the prestigious Triton Invitational last weekend, highlighted by a victory over No. 16 Long Beach State, 9-6, to finish tournament play.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Bennett Bugelli was named WWPA Player of the Week on Feb. 13 after falling 29 saves in four games at the Triton Invitational.
- Sophomore Taylor Onstott leads the Tritons with 21 total points with 12 goals and nine assists, as well as a team-best 14 steals.
- Sophomore Ciara Franke has recorded a team-high 15 goals and is second on the team with 18 total points and 10 steals.
- Senior Krista Schneider ranks second on the team with eight assists and is fourth with eight steals.
1. Cal State East Bay: 0-0, 3-3
2. UC San Diego: 0-0, 4-5
3. Cal State Monterey Bay: 0-0, 2-5
4. McKendree: 0-0, 0-0
5. Mercyhurst: 0-0, 0-0
6. Sonoma State: 0-0, 0-3
7. Gannon: 0-0, 0-4
8. Salem: 0-0, 0-4
9. Fresno Pacific: 0-0, 0-7
UC SAN DIEGO NATIONAL RANKINGS
For full rankings click here.
• Preseason: 15
• Week 1: 21
• Week 2: 21
• Week 3: 20
• Week 4: T-17
MEET THE 2019 TRITONS
The Tritons return five starters and 17 players total from last season’s squad, including All-WWPA First-Team selections senior Chanel Schilling, senior Krista Schneider and junior goalkeeper Reilly Gallagher. Sophomore Grace Pevehouse earned All-WWPA Honorable Mention in 2018, while Taylor Onstott was named WWPA Newcomer of the Year and joined Ciara Franke on the WWPA All-Freshman Team. In addition, sophomore goalkeeper Bennett Bugelli was named WWPA Championship MVP.
ABOUT LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
Roster | Schedule | Statistics
• Overall: 3-5
• GCC: 0-0
• Home: 0-0
• Away: 0-1
• Neutral: 3-4
• National Ranking: T-12
2019 WWPA Preseason Coaches Poll (first-place votes)
1. UC San Diego - 64 points, (8)
2. Cal State East Bay - 57 points, (1)
3. Sonoma State - 44 points
4. Fresno Pacific - 42 points
5. Cal State Monterey Bay - 40 points
6. Mercyhurst - 28 points
7. McKendree - 21 points
8. Gannon - 15 points
9. Salem - 13 points
2018 YEAR IN REVIEW
UC San Diego is coming off a 24-12 campaign in 2018 and a berth in the NCAA Opening Round. The Tritons defeated 11 ranked opponents and won their sixth-consecutive WWPA Championship en route to a sixth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance. Five Tritons received ACWPC All-America accolades last season, including first-team selections Kayla Fedler and Chanel Schilling, second-team choices Krista Schneider and Reilly Gallagher, and honorable mention Taylor Onstott. Head coach Brad Kreutzkamp was named WWPA Coach of the Year for the fourth time in nine seasons at the helm, as he also moved up into second place all-time in coaching victories for the program.
HEAD COACH BRAD KREUTZKAMP
Head coach Brad Kreutzkamp is in his 10th season at the
For the latest in Triton athletic gear, make sure to visit ucsdtritonsgear.com. Run by UC San Diego Athletics' online partner, Advanced-Online, the site provides an on-demand option for Triton athletic apparel and merchandise. Fans have access to over 600 products that can be processed and shipped within 24 hours.
FOR THE YOUNGER CROWD
Got some young Triton fans in your family? If they are eighth grade or under, check out the Junior Triton Club. Membership includes a free t-shirt, admission to over 100 UC San Diego home athletic events, and much more!
SOCIAL MEDIA (#BigWestBound)
UCSD Women's Water Polo on Twitter (@ucsdwwp)
UCSD Women's Water Polo on Instagram (@ucsdwwp)
Coach Kreutzkamp on Twitter (@UCSDcoachK)
UCSD Athletics on Twitter (UCSDtritons)
UCSD Athletics on Instagram (UCSDtritons)
UCSD Athletics on Facebook (UCSDtritons)
UCSD Athletics on YouTube (UCSDathletics)
About UC San Diego Athletics
With 30 national team championships, nearly 150 individual titles and the top student-athlete graduation rate among Division II institutions in the United States, the UC San Diego intercollegiate athletics program annually ranks as one of the most successful in the country. The Tritons sponsor 23 intercollegiate sport programs that compete on the NCAA Division I and II levels and, in summer 2020, will transition into full Division I status as a member of the Big West Conference. UC San Diego student-athletes exemplify the academic ideals of one of the world's preeminent institutions, graduating at an average rate of 91 percent. A total of 80 Tritons have earned Academic All-America honors, while 36 have earned prestigious NCAA Post Graduate Scholarships. In competition, more than 1,300 UC San Diego student-athletes have earned All-America honors.
Follow The Tritons
For complete coverage and information regarding UC San Diego Athletics, follow the Tritons online at UCSDtritons.com and through social media on Twitter (@ucsdtritons), Instagram (@ucsdtritons) and Facebook (ucsdtritons). In addition, you can follow UC San Diego women's water polo on Twitter (@ucsdwwp) and on Instagram (@ucsdwwp).