The $4.3 million, state-of-the-art center on the northwest side of campus, named in honor of the Spanos family patriarch, was made possible by a lead gift of $500,000 from Dean Spanos, chairman of the board of the San Diego Chargers, and his family.
The Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center includes 6,700 square feet of new floor space as well as a renovation of the existing Alex G. Spanos Training Facility, combining for 12,000 square feet. It features zones for strength and conditioning and athletic training/rehabilitation, as well as an outdoor conditioning plaza, offices and a conference room.
Specific amenities include 15 Hammer Strength Power Racks, Keiser Functional Trainers, Tendo units, Wattbikes, a 12-person hydro tub and an AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill.
Click Here to see additional photos of the facility
Click Here to watch a video of the opening
In Google Maps, enter this address for nearest lot to the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center:
9730 Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
Directions to the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center
- From Interstate 5, exit Genesee Avenue
- Head west on Genesee (up hill)
- Turn left on North Torrey Pines Road (light at top of hill)
- Turn left at the first light (UCSD Northpoint Driveway - North Campus entrance)
- Continue through two stop signs. As the road curves to the right (with Triton Track & Field Stadium to your immediate left), it becomes Hopkins Drive
- Pass green fields and then RIMAC Arena to your right and park in adjacent Hopkins Parking Structure. Triton Track & Field Stadium remains just north of Northpoint Driveway, and is accessible via Ridge Walk
- Parking permits are required Monday through Friday only (free on weekends), and can be obtained from the Northpoint information booth (on right side of street at second stop sign on Northpoint Driveway), or on any level of the Hopkins Parking Structure