HOLUA, Hawaii - The No. 14 UC San Diego men's tennis team earned an 8-1 decision over Hawaii Hilo Friday in its first match of three on the islands.
UCSD won all three double tilts and five of six single matches to improve to 3-3 on the season. Four of the singles victories came in straight sets. It was UHH's (0-2) second contest of the year.
"We were very strong in doubles and got out to a 3-0 lead," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "We struggled a little at No. 3, but regrouped and started playing more as a team, which really set the tone for us."
The duo of Horea Porutiu and Alexandre Miaule began the day with a solid 8-2 win against Kallen Mizuguchi and Daniel Tada in the No. 2 doubles spot. Mark Meyer and Rajeev Herekar followed, defeating Spencer Travalino and Thomas Dols at No. 3 with a score of 8-5. Max Jiganti and Kona Luu concluded the doubles winning streak, downing Tom Greer-Smith and Kainoa Rosa, 8-1, at No.1.
In the No. 1 singles spot, Jiganti defeated Greer-Smith by scores of 7-5 and 6-3. At No. 2, Miaule took down Rosa, 6-4 and 6-3. The No. 3 singles match was the only one to extend past two sets as Herekar lost his first set, 4-6, against Mizaguchi, but rebounded to take the next two by scores of 6-2 and 6-2.
Also posting singles wins for the Tritons were Ganesh Alagappan at No. 4 and Meyer at No. 6. Meyer is now 6-0 in singles play and 4-1 in doubles action.
Nicolas Franco picked up the Vulcans’ lone win of the afternoon, defeating Horea Porutiu, 2-6, 6-4 and 10-8 at No. 5 singles.
The Tritons take on BYU-Hawaii, ranked 18th nationally, on Saturday, Feb. 15, at 11 a.m (PT).
#14 UC San Diego 8, Hawaii Hilo 1
Feb 14, 2014 at Holua, Hawaii
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Tom Greer-Smith (UHH) 7-5, 6-3
2. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Kainoa Rosa (UHH) 6-4, 6-3
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Kallen Mizuguchi (UHH) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Spencer Travalino (UHH) 6-1, 7-6
5. Nicolas Franco (UHH) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Daniel Tada (UHH) 6-4, 6-1
1. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Tom Greer-Smith/Kainoa Rosa (UHH) 8-1
2. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Kallen Mizuguchi/Daniel Tada (UHH) 8-2
3. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Thomas Dols/Spencer Travalino (UHH) 8-5
Hawaii Hilo 0-2
UC San Diego 3-3; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,1,6,3,5,4)