RIVERSIDE, Calif. - The 14th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team earned a 5-2 victory over UC Riverside Wednesday afternoon at Andulka Park.
UCSD, which improved to 5-4 with the win, took four of six singles tilts and won two of three doubles match-ups to take the point. NCAA Division I UC Riverside fell to 0-12 overall with the loss.
Max Jiganti teamed with junior Kona Luu at No. 1 doubles to record an 8-5 win against Cooper Bridge and Michael Carella. Rajeev Herekar and Mark Meyer were also winners, taking a victory at No. 2 doubles with a score of 8-5 against Julian Ruffin and Marcus Vizcarra.
The Highlanders won at No. 3 doubles.
“We had a pretty solid day in doubles, which gave us a little bit of room in singles” said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. “However, UC Riverside competed well and made it really close.”
In the No. 1 singles spot, Jiganti won, taking down Luis Gastao, 4-6, 6-4 and 10-8.
Hereker improved his season record to 6-3 by defeating Ruffin, 6-4 and 7-5, in the No. 2 singles match-up.
Also victorious in singles play for the Tritons were Horea Porutiu and Meyer. Competing at No. 4, Porutiu went 6-3, 6-1 against Jack Felich. At No. 5, Meyer posted a 6-3, 7-5 win versus Vizcarra.
"Mark came off strong and was able to give us a lead," said Willing.
Herekar's win clinched the victory for UCSD.
The Tritons host Whittier on Friday, Feb. 21, at 2 p.m.
#14 UC San Diego 5, UC Riverside 2
Feb 19, 2014 at Riverside, CA (Andulka Park)
1. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-4, 7-5
3. Cooper Bridge (UCR) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-3, 3-0, retired
4. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Jack Felich (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
5. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 6-3, 7-5
6. Michael Carella (UCR) def. Maxence Dutreix (UCSD) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Cooper Bridge/Michael Carella (UCR) 8-5
2. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Julian Ruffin/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 8-5
3. Luis Gastao/Sean Robles (UCR) def. Maxence Dutreix/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-5
UC San Diego 5-4; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
UC Riverside 0-12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,6,5,2,1)