LA JOLLA, Calif. - Strong singles play led the 11th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team to a 6-3 victory over the University of Chicago Friday at Northview Tennis Courts.
Down 2-1 after the doubles portion of the match, UCSD won five of the six singles contests to come from behind and take the win.
The Tritons improved to 11-6, while the Maroons, ranked 30th in NCAA Division III, fell to 6-6 overall.
Four of the five singles victories came in straight sets, including Ganesh Alagappan at No. 3, Alexandre Miaule at No. 4, Kona Luu at No. 5 and Mark Meyer at No. 6. Rajeev Herekar won his No. 2 match-up in three sets.
Alagappan's 7-5, 6-3 win against Brian Sun clinched the victory for the Tritons.
UCSD's doubles victory came at the top of the ladder as Max Jiganti and Luu defeated Max Hawkins and Gordon Zhang by a score of 8-3. Jiganti and Luu hold a No. 22 national ranking in doubles play.
After playing its last eight dual matches at home, UCSD hits the road for its next four, starting with Hawaii Hilo in Azusa, Calif., on Sunday, March 30 (11 a.m.). The Tritons dominated the Vulcans, 8-1, on Feb. 14 in Hawaii.
#11 UC San Diego 6, University of Chicago 3
March 28, 2014 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Deepak Sabada (UOC) def. Max Jiganti (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Ankur Bhargava (UOC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Brian Sun (UOC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Zsolt Szabo (UOC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Max Hawkins (UOC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mark Meyer (UCSD) def. Gordon Zhang (UOC) 6-3, 6-0
1. #22 Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Max Hawkins/Gordon Zhang (UOC) 8-3
2. Krishna Ravella/Zsolt Szabo (UOC) def. Alexandre Miaule/Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Deepak Sabada/Brian Sun (UOC) def. Rajeev Herekar/Mark Meyer (UCSD) 8-6
University of Chicago 6-6
UC San Diego 11-6; National ranking #11; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,5,6,3,1,2)