KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - For the second time in less than a week, the UC San Diego men's tennis team defeated Hawaii Hilo, posting a 9-0 shutout Monday in the team's final dual on the islands.
UCSD, ranked 21st nationally, improved to 4-3 with the win while UHH remained winless at 0-3. The Tritons beat the Vulcans, 8-1, on Friday as well.
UCSD won all six singles matches in straight sets. Playing at No. 1, Camill Salomon defeated Kainoa Rosa by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Devon Sousa, making his season debut in singles play, took down Tom Greer-Smith, 7-6 and 6-4, at No. 2.
Also recording singles wins were Rajeev Herekar at No. 3 (7-6, 6-2), Kona Luu at No. 4 (6-0, 6-0), Horea Porutiu at No. 5 (6-1, 6-4) and Guy Giubilato at No. 6 (6-1, 6-2).
The Tritons surrendered just eight points in doubles. In the first slot, Salomon and Sousa defeated Greer-Smith and Kainoa Rosa (8-4). At No. 2, Jiganti and Luu topped Michael Davis and Spencer Travalino (8-2) and Giubilato and Herekar won against Makoa Rosa and Caden Yamamoto at No. 3 (8-2).
It was Giubilato's first competition of the year in either singles or doubles.
UCSD hosts a pair of matches over the next week. The Tritons welcome Whittier to Northview Courts on Saturday, Feb. 23 (2 p.m.) and Western New Mexico on Monday, Feb. 25 (3 p.m.). Western is ranked 30th among Division II squads, while Whittier is 26th in Division III.
#21 UC San Diego 9, Hawaii Hilo 0
Feb 18, 2013 at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Kainoa Rosa (UHH) 6-4, 6-2
2. Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Tom Greer-Smith (UHH) 7-6, 6-4
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Spencer Travalino (UHH) 7-6, 6-2
4. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Michael Davis (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Prycen Haas (UHH) 6-1, 6-4
6. Guy Giubilato (UCSD) def. Caden Yamamoto (UHH) 6-1, 6-2
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Tom Greer-Smith/Kainoa Rosa (UHH) 8-4
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Michael Davis/Spencer Travalino (UHH) 8-2
3. Guy Giubilato/Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Makoa Rosa/Caden Yamamoto (UHH) 8-2
Hawaii Hilo 0-3
UC San Diego 4-3; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,1,2,5,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --