LA JOLLA, Calif. - In a match-up between two national top-30 squads, the No. 21 UC San Diego men's tennis team defeated No. 30 Western New Mexico, 7-2, Monday afternoon at Northview Courts.
With its third consecutive victory, UCSD improved to 6-3 overall. WNMU fell to 4-8 on the year.
The Tritons swept the doubles contests to start off the match. Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa defeated Rodrigo Alameida and Juan Pablo Fuentes, 8-6, in the No. 1 slot. At No. 2, Max Jiganti and Kona Luu took an 8-6 decision against Francisco Damasio and Alvaro Nunez to improve to 6-2 on the season. Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong wrapped up doubles play with an 8-5 topping of Jorge Carretero and Matthieu Covizzi.
At the top of the singles ladder, Salomon defeated Almeida in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4. Ganesh Alagappan won at No. 3 (5-7, 6-3, 10-7), Luu won at No. 4 (6-3, 6-2) and Horea Porutiu was victorious at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 7-5).
Next up, the Tritons will compete at the 124th Annual Pacific Coast Doubles Championship, held Feb. 28-March 3 at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club.
#21 UC San Diego 7, #30 Western New Mexico 2
Feb 25, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Rodrigo Almeida (WNMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Matthieu Covizzi (WNMU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 7-5, 6-2
3. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Juan Pablo Fuentes (WNMU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
4. Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Alvaro Nunez (WNMU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Francisco Damasio (WNMU) def. Teddy Truong (UCSD) 0-6, 7-5, 10-8
6. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Roy Ulibarri (WNMU) 6-0, 7-5
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Rodrigo Almeida/Juan Pablo Fuentes (WNMU) 8-6
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Francisco Damasio/Alvaro Nunez (WNMU) 8-6
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. Jorge Carretero/Matthieu Covizzi (WNMU) 8-5
Western New Mexico 4-8; National ranking #30
UC San Diego 6-3; National ranking #21; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,1,6,3,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --