LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 28th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team took a big step closer to securing a spot in the NCAA West Regional with a convincing 7-2 upset over No. 13 Grand Canyon Monday afternoon at North Courts.
UCSD led early after winning two of three doubles matches and never looked back, taking five of six singles contests to run away with the victory.
At No. 1 singles, Camill Salomon defeated Yann Kaelin in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4, to clinch the win for the Tritons.
Three other Tritons also won their singles matches in straight sets, including Max Jiganti at No. 2, Ganesh Alagappan at No. 4 and Horea Porutiu at No. 6. Rajeev Herekar won in three sets at No. 3.
In doubles play, Salomon and Devon Sousa won their No. 1 match against Arjun Bal and Ahmad Saleem, 8-5. Jiganti and Kona Luu played at No. 2 on the doubles ladder and took out Alexander Roggenkamp and Felix Schueller by a score of 8-4.
The Tritons are now 9-8 overall while the Antelopes are 11-4. GCU defeated UCSD, 7-2, last season in Arizona.
Just two men's teams will qualify for the NCAA West Regional, which will be held in late April. Currently, Hawaii Pacific leads the West Region rankings, followed by Azusa Pacific, Fresno Pacific, Grand Canyon and UCSD. Azusa and Fresno are not eligible for postseason play as they are both newcomers to the Division II ranks.
The next regional rankings will be released on April 24.
UC San Diego has four regular season matches remaining. The Tritons host BYU-Hawaii, ranked sixth in the West, on April 3 at 2 p.m. Two players from each squad are ranked in the West's top-10 in singles, including UCSD's Salomon (sixth) and Jiganti (ninth) and BYUH's Yevhen Zakharov (fifth) and Martin Chojnacki (seventh). Zakharov and Chojnacki are the second-ranked doubles team in the region, while Salomon and Sousa are fifth.
#28 UC San Diego 7, #13 Grand Canyon University 2
April 01, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Camill Salomon (UCSD) def. Yann Kaelin (GCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Ahmad Saleem (GCU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) def. Felix Schueller (GCU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) def. Arjun Bal (GCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alexander Roggenkamp (GCU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-0, 6-7, 11-9
6. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Meidy Chazeau (GCU) 7-5, 6-0
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Arjun Bal/Ahmad Saleem (GCU) 8-5
2. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) def. Alexander Roggenkamp/Felix Schueller (GCU) 8-4
3. Meidy Chazeau/Yann Kaelin (GCU) def. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) 8-5
Grand Canyon University 11-4; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #4
UC San Diego 9-8; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --