ROHNERT PARK, Calif. - The 19th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team swept the season series against Sonoma State with a 7-2 victory Saturday at SSU Tennis Courts in Northern California.
The win moved UCSD to 13-6 overall, while SSU dropped to 14-8. It was UC San Diego's third straight victory.
The Seawolves' lone lead of the day came early as they won the No. 1 doubles match. It was short-lived, however, as the Tritons took the remaining two doubles contests. At No. 2, Paula Chou and Jacquelyn Davis defeated Lauren Ha and Sheena Johnston, 8-3. The third doubles match-up went to Melinda Chu and Tara Vanooteghem, who topped Lauren Shafer and Megan White, also by an 8-3 count.
Five of the six singles matches went to UCSD as Kyra Scott, Chou, Chu, Vanooteghem and Davis all recorded wins. Scott, playing in her usual No. 2 spot, blanked White, 6-0 and 6-0. Vanooteghem's 6-3, 6-1 win against Shafer at No. 5 clinched the win for the Tritons.
The only match to go past two sets was at No. 3. Chou took the first frame, 6-1, against Chloe Jolliff, but dropped the second, 6-4. The Triton freshman out-lasted her opponent, 12-10, in a marathon tiebreaker.
UCSD also defeated SSU back on March 1, taking an 8-1 decision in La Jolla.
The Tritons stay on the road to play at Cal State Stanislaus on Sunday, April 14 at 9 a.m.
#19 UC San Diego 7, #46 Sonoma State 2
April 13, 2013 at Rohnert Park, CA (SSU Tennis Courts)
1. Sara Celma (SSU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Megan White (SSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Chloe Jolliff (SSU) 6-1, 4-6, 12-10
4. Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Sheena Johnson (SSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Lauren Shafer (SSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Lauren Ha (SSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sara Celma/Chloe Jolliff (SSU) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-1
2. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) def. Lauren Ha/Sheena Johnson (SSU) 8-3
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Lauren Shafer/Megan White (SSU) 8-3
UC San Diego 13-6; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
Sonoma State 14-8; National ranking #46; Regional ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,5,1,4,3)
-- UCSDtritons.com --