SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Melinda Chu and Tara Vanooteghem won their fourth consecutive doubles match, but the UC San Diego women's tennis team was shut out, 7-0, by San Diego State Tuesday afternoon at Aztec Tennis Center.
With its four-match win streak snapped, UCSD fell to 14-7 overall on the season. SDSU, which won its 10th straight, upped its mark to 17-4. The Tritons are ranked 19th in Division II, while the Aztecs are 41st in the Division I ranks.
San Diego State took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2, but the highlight of the match for UC San Diego came in the third spot. Chu and Vanooteghem continued their strong play by edging Michela Casanova and Isabelle Hoorn, 8-7. The duo claimed the victory with a 7-4 advantage in the tiebreaker.
SDSU, which leads the Mountain West Conference standings, won all six singles tilts in straight sets.
Vanooteghem was riding a nine-match win streak in singles play coming in, but lost at No. 4 against Tami Nguyen, 7-5 and 6-3. Scott lost for just the second time in her last 10 singles matches, 7-5 and 6-1, to Aguilar at No. 2.
UCSD concludes its season on Thursday, April 18 at Cal State L.A. (1:30 p.m.). The Tritons beat the Golden Eagles, 6-3, on March 29 in La Jolla.
San Diego State 7, #19 UC San Diego 0
April 16, 2013 at San Diego, CA (Aztec Tennis Center)
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Kyra Scott (UCSD) 7-5, 6-1
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 7-5, 6-3
5. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 6-0, 6-4
6. Dora Somoracz (SDSU) def. Sherise Lum (UCSD) 6-1, 6-4
1. Alicia Aguilar/Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-6
2. Kristin Buth/Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 8-1
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Michela Casanova/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 8-7 (7-4)
UC San Diego 14-7; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
San Diego State 17-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,5,4,2)
-- UCSDtritons.com --