LA JOLLA, Calif. - Despite leading after doubles play, the No. 19 UC San Diego women's tennis team ended up on the losing side of a 5-4 decision against 13th-ranked Grand Canyon Monday at North Courts.
UCSD fell to 10-6 overall, while GCU is now 11-3 after winning its third consecutive match. The loss most likely eliminated the Tritons from postseason play.
Melinda Chu and Tara Vanooteghem got the Tritons off to a strong start with an 8-3 win against Kaila Knopf and Frederique Van de Velde at No. 3 doubles. After dropping the No. 2 doubles contest, UCSD went up 2-1 when Melissa Breisacher and Kyra Scott downed Priscilla Annoual and Justine Majan, 8-5, at No. 1.
However, the Tritons earned just two wins in singles. At No. 2, Scott defeated Katharina Mittag, 6-1 and 6-4. Vanooteghem was victorious at No. 5, topping Van de Velde by scores of 6-2 and 6-2.
The Antelopes picked up wins at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4, which left the No. 6 tilt between UCSD's Jacquelyn Davis and GCU's Taylor Young to decide the winner of the match. Davis struck first, taking the opening set by a 6-4 count. However, Young rebounded to win the next two by scores of 7-5 and 6-4, giving the match to the 'Lopes.
Entering the match, Grand Canyon was ranked fourth in the West Region while UCSD was fifth. Hawaii Pacific tops the regional rankings and is followed by BYU-Hawaii and Fresno Pacific. The top three teams qualify for the NCAA West Regional in late April. The next regional rankings will be released on April 24.
With five regular season matches remaining, UCSD plays its next two at home with Academy of Art on April 6 (9 a.m) and Point Loma Nazarene on April 10 (2:30 p.m.).
#13 Grand Canyon University 5, #19 UC San Diego 4
April 01, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Priscilla Annoual (GCU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Katharina Mittag (GCU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Justine Majan (GCU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
4. Lana Macukat (GCU) def. Melinda Chu (UCSD) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Frederique Van de Velde (GCU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Taylor Young (GCU) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
1. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Priscilla Annoual/Justine Majan (GCU) 8-5
2. Lana Macukat/Katharina Mittag (GCU) def. Paula Chou/Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) 8-2
3. Melinda Chu/Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Kaila Knopf/Frederique Van de Velde (GCU) 8-3
Grand Canyon University 11-3; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #4
UC San Diego 10-6; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,5,6)
-- UCSDtritons.com --