Photo by: UCSD
The Row for the Cure event raised roughly $20,000 dollars to put toward the fight against breast cancer in 2010.
UCSD Women’s Crew Hosts 10th Annual Row for the Cure Sunday
Release: Thursday 10/27/2011 

LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego women's crew program will once again partner with Susan G. Komen for the Cure to host the annual San Diego Row for the Cure this Sunday.

Now in its 10th year, the event will take place at North Ski Beach on Mission Bay, with registration beginning at 6:30 a.m. The first race of the day is scheduled for 7:55 a.m., with the final race scheduled for 9:30 a.m. The awards ceremony will conclude the day's festivities at 10:00 a.m.

Established in 2002, the Row for the Cure event raises money through entry fees, donations and raffle tickets and all proceeds go directly to Komen for the Cure and the fight against breast cancer. Of the funds raised, 75% are directed towards the San Diego community to support uninsured and underinsured women with breast cancer diagnosis, treatment and services, while the remaining 25% goes towards the support of national breast cancer research.

"This year's event is especially significant because it's the 10th year we've done the Row for the Cure," head coach Pattie Pinkerton said. "It started after one of our student-athletes lost her mother during her senior year 10 years ago and it has really blossomed into something special since then."

Close to 600 athletes, ages 14 to 84, competed in the Row for the Cure in 2010, as the fundraiser has continued to grow each and every year. The event brought in close to $20,000, bringing the cumulative nine-year total raised by the regatta to over $200,000.

This season, event organizers have set a fundraising goal of $15,000.

Sunday's regatta will also serve as the unofficial season opener for both of the UCSD crew teams. The Triton women recorded victories in all four races they entered in 2010, winning the varsity eight, lightweight four, varsity four and novice eight events.

The Row for the Cure is open to all human-powered water craft, which has included rowers, dragon boats, stand up and sit-down paddlers, first-time rowers in the barge and outriggers in the past.

Those interested in participating in this year's Row for the Cure can register online by going to and clicking on Row for the Cure under Regattas. You can register yourself, your team or crew. You may also print out an entry form and bring it to the event. Click here to access the entry form.

Participants can also donate on line here.

For more information or

Diversity and Inclusion