The event will be presented at North Ski Beach on Mission Bay. Registration will begin at 5:30 a.m., and the first race is set to go off at 7:40 a.m. The final race will commence at around 10 a.m.
The Row for the Cure event, established in 2002, raises funds via entry fees, donations and raffle tickets, and all proceeds go directly to Komen for the Cure and the fight against breast cancer. Out of the funds raised, 75 percent is allocated toward the San Diego community to provide support for uninsured and underinsured women with breast cancer diagnoses, treatment and services, while the remaining 25 percent goes directly toward financing national breast cancer research.
"I want them (UCSD student-athletes) to enjoy volunteering and being part of the community," said UCSD head coach Colin Truex. "It's bigger than a race. This is a great cause and I am happy to be a part of it. It is more about rowing for a cause than it is rowing for a win."
Over 600 individuals competed during Row for the Cure in 2012. Between $13,000 and $15,000 was raised last year, making it the biggest event to date. Over the past 11 years, the total amount raised by the event is more than $200,000.
Event organizers for this season have set a target fundraising goal of $15,000.
The regatta on Sunday also serves as the unofficial season opener for both of the UCSD rowing teams. The Tritons will face crews from schools such as San Diego State, UC Irvine, UCLA and Orange Coast College, among others.
At last year's regatta, the Triton women's "B" team finished fifth in the Open 8+, while the "A" and "C" teams took ninth and 10th, respectively. On the men's side, UCSD's "A" teams took first in all three events in which they competed, including the Open 8+, Novice 8+ and Open 4+, while the "B" team finished second in the Open 4+.
The Row for the Cure is open to all human-powered watercraft, which in the past has included rowers, kayakers, stand-up and sit-down paddlers, first-time rowers in the barge, and outriggers.
Those interested in taking part in this year's Row for the Cure can register online by visiting regattacentral.com. You can register yourself, your team or crew. You may also print out an entry form and bring it to the event. Click here to access the entry form.
Participants can also donate online here.