LA JOLLA, Calif. -
Continuing its partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the UC San Diego women's crew program will host the 11th Annual San Diego Row for the Cure this Sunday.
The event will be presented at North Ski Beach on Mission Bay. Registration will begin at 5:30 a.m., and the first race is set to go off at 7:40 a.m. The final race will commence at 10 a.m. and will be followed by the awards ceremony.
The Row for the Cure event, established in 2002, raises funds via entry fees, donations and raffle tickets and all proceeds go directly to Komen for the Cure and the fight against breast cancer. Out of the funds raised, 75% is allocated towards the San Diego community to provide support for uninsured and underinsured women with breast cancer diagnoses, treatment and services, while the remaining 25% goes directly towards financing national breast cancer research.
"It's a community service event; I want them to enjoy volunteering and being part of something that's a bigger and better cause than what they're normally used to," said UCSD head coach Colin Truex. "Together, I hope they have a great racing experience, but also a great community sense and feel like they're contributing to a worthy cause."
A total of 491 individuals competed during Row for the Cure in 2011. More than $10,000 was raised last year, a figure that has already been eclipsed during the lead-up to the 2012 running of the event. Over the past 10 years, the total amount raised by event is more than $75,000.
Event organizers for this season have set a target fundraising goal of $18,000.
The regatta on Sunday also serves as the unofficial season opener for both of the UCSD crew teams. They will face teams from schools such as San Diego State, USD, UC Irvine, UCLA and Orange Coast College, among others.
In last year's regatta, the Triton women finished fourth and sixth behind USD in the Open Collegiate Varsity Eight category. In addition, the Varsity Four took third while the Novice Eight settled for second against USD.
The Row for the Cure is open to all human-powered water craft, which has included rowers, dragon boats, stand-up and sit-down paddlers, first-time rowers in the barge and outriggers in the past.
Those interested in taking part in this year's Row for the Cure can register online by visiting regattacentral.com. You can register yourself, your team or crew. You may also print out an entry form and bring it to the event. Click here to access the entry form.
Participants can also donate online here.
For more information, visit RowForTheCure.com and komensandiego.org.
-- UCSDtritons.com --