ROHNERT PARK, Calif. - A 2-1 lead after doubles play didn't hold up as the 28th-ranked UC San Diego men's tennis team was defeated, 6-3, by No. 12 Fresno Pacific Friday afternoon on the campus of Sonoma State University.
UCSD dropped to 10-9 overall while FPU, winners of four of its last five, is now 13-6.
For the fifth consecutive outing, the Tritons held an advantage in doubles. At No. 1, Camill Salomon and Devon Sousa defeated Kyle Rowe and Kirill Sinitsyn, 8-5. In the No. 3 match-up on the doubles ladder, Rajeev Herekar and Teddy Truong were victorious against John Karlman and Stefan Loop, edging their opponents by a 9-8 count.
UCSD's lone singles win came at No. 2 as Max Jiganti defeated Amarit Sanchez in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Jiganti, a junior, has won his last five singles matches and is 11-5 overall this season.
"We had opportunities, but just couldn't take advantage of them," said UCSD head coach Timmer Willing. "
The Sunbirds also defeated the Tritons on March 10 in La Jolla, 5-4.
UCSD takes on Sonoma State Sunday at 10 a.m. It will be the second meeting between the two teams this season as UCSD earned a 9-0 shutout against the Seawolves at home on March 9.
#12 Fresno Pacific 6, #28 UC San Diego 3
April 05, 2013 at Rohnert Park, CA (SSU Tennis Courts)
1. Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) def. Camill Salomon (UCSD) 6-1, 7-5
2. Max Jiganti (UCSD) def. Amarit Sanchez (FPU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Rajeev Herekar (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
4. Marco Gabriel (FPU) def. Ganesh Alagappan (UCSD) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kyle Rowe (FPU) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
6. Stefan Loop (FPU) def. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Camill Salomon/Devon Sousa (UCSD) def. Kyle Rowe/Kirill Sinitsyn (FPU) 8-5
2. Amarit Sanchez/Michael Tymkiw (FPU) def. Max Jiganti/Kona Luu (UCSD) 8-3
3. Rajeev Herekar/Teddy Truong (UCSD) def. John Karlman/Stefan Loop (FPU) 9-8 (7-4)
Fresno Pacific 13-6; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #3
UC San Diego 10-9; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)
-- UCSDtritons.com --