SAN DIEGO - The 17th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team won all three doubles matches, but was swept in singles play as No. 25 Point Loma earned a 6-3 upset victory Wednesday at PLNU Tennis Courts.
UCSD fell to 8-14 with the loss, while PLNU improved to 11-10.
The Tritons jumped out to a 3-0 lead following doubles play.
At No. 1, the 17th-ranked duo of Kyra Scott and Paula Chou defeated Hope Penner and Regina Koch by a score of 8-3. In the second spot, Nava Nowamooz and Shannon Theisen downed Maika Adair and Hillary Ramage, 8-6. Tara Vanooteghem and Laura Wilke fought for a 9-7 win against Preethika Venugopal and Sharon Reibstein at No. 3.
However, the lead was short-lived for UCSD as PLNU won four of the six singles contests in straight sets.
At No. 1, Scott, ranked 26th nationally in singles, was upset by Adair, 4-6, 6-2 and 6-2.
Theisen also took her match to three sets, but fell by scores of 4-6, 6-1 and 7-5 against Ramage at No. 5.
The Tritons defeated the Sea Lions, 6-3, on Feb. 11 in La Jolla.
UCSD plays at No. 13 Azusa Pacific on Saturday, April 12 (11 a.m.) and at Division I San Diego State on Sunday, April 13 (2 p.m.).
#25 Point Loma 6, #17 UC San Diego 3
April 09, 2014 at San Diego, CA (PLNU Tennis Courts)
1. Adair, Maika (PLNU) def. #26 Kyra Scott (UCSD) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. von Koch, Regina (PLNU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Penner, Hope (PLNU) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-0, 7-5
4. Venugopal, Preethika (PLNU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ramage, Hillary (PLNU) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Mountain, Kirsty (PLNU) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 6-1, 6-3
1. #17 Kyra Scott/Paula Chou (UCSD) def. Penner, Hope/von Koch, Regina (PLNU) 8-3
2. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) def. Adair, Maika/Ramage, Hillary (PLNU) 8-6
3. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) def. Venugopal, Preethika/Reibstein, Sharon (PLNU) 9-7
UC San Diego 8-14; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #5
Point Loma 11-10; National ranking #25; Regional ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,2,3,5,1)
Official: Doug Fitzgerald T-4:22 A-58